promotion image of download ymail app
JMR asked in HealthOther - Health · 2 years ago

Physical therapist wants me to see a neurologist?

I have had "the shakes" since I was a kid. I'm in my 30's now. My reactions are also over-reactions l, so lifting weights or doing movements/ the middle of the reps of various muscles jump/shake badly. Even core exercises like situps or crunches, I shake badly putting tension on the muscles or easing off tension. I get waves of shakes throughout my body that cause me to shake and yawn a lot, for some reason, as if nervous about something new that I'm about to do. It's like a fear of being about to present something at a huge company meeting and the nervousness, but even when at home relaxing and no such thing is even expected or will happen at work.

Do I have some kind of condition? This gets way worse with the shaking if it combines with my social anxiety among crowds, public speaking, etc. I'll shake so bad that I'll nearly drop the paper. This keeps me from going to college and getting a degree. I'll start walking funny as my legs shake from nervousness of being seen by people in public, church, etc, for some reason. I'm not that self conscious, so I don't know I shake for no reason sometimes.

Of course, I don't expect an Internet diagnosis. Just asking until I go in and talk to a real doctor.

3 Answers

  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Look up "essential tremors." It's more common than you think. I have had it all my adult life and it's understandable that it might make you feel unsure of yourself. The suggestion to see a neurologist is a good one. IF that is the problem... and even if it isn't... a neurologist would be a good person to start with. The bad news is that essential tremors never go away, but the good new is that it is treatable.... or at least can be controlled to an acceptable level.

    Good luck!

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

    Go see a real doctor, we're all a bunch of self selected dopes on this forum, who never let our ignorance get in the way of an opinion.

    That being said, I will give you my opinion! Your physical therapist likely has been trained to spot situations where continued PT can not help the situation. It sounds as if you fall into that situation.

    • JMR2 years agoReport

      She wants to continue treating me and hasn't mentioned anything not helping. She said it takes a good 4-6 weeks to see a decent amount of improvement.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

    Obviously you have some kind of "condition," but we can't tell you what it is. I'm amazed that you didn't see a neurologist about this much earlier. What were your parents and pediatrician thinking? Why didn't YOU seek a specialist evaluation once you reached adulthood?

    By the way, I teach college students. Plenty of people with medical and psychological conditions attend college and earn degrees. "Social anxiety" has apparently become some sort of epidemic; half of college students are claiming to have it (or attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder), and some probably really do. I've had students with Tourette's, cerebral palsy, blindness, deafness, bipolar disorder, chronic depression, even schizophrenia. I've also had students who can't move at all, because they're quadriplegics.

    If they can attend college, so can you.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.