What am I doing wrong when making basted eggs?

First, I'd like to say that I DON'T mean steam basted. I mean when you actually baste the eggs, not when you throw water on them and put a lid on it. Different things.

Now, backstory. This is how my parents and grandparents always made my eggs growing up, and this is how I learned to make eggs. Basically, you heat butter in the pan until it's completely melted but not bubbling (or alternatively use bacon grease), add the eggs, and spoon the fat over the eggs until the yoke is a sort of translucent white. So it's cooked, but still runny.

When I lived with my mom, I was able to cook them perfectly every single time. After I moved out, I have yet to be able to replicate it. Don't think the issue is the type of stove, because I've had both electric and gas, and it doesn't work. Every single time, without fail, the bottoms cook way quicker and basting doesn't cook the top until the bottoms are completely burnt. Do you think the type of pan I'm using could be affecting it? (Don't know what kind my mom had, but I have non-stick pans). Or am I using the wrong heat settings? (I've tried going pretty low with the same results, but should I be changing the amount of heat as I cook? And if so, from what to what?)

Please, if you've ever successfully made eggs this way, help. I am sick of eating scrambled eggs.

Favorite Answer

common sense would tell you that if the bottom is burning before the top is done, yoiu need to reduce the heat..its that simple.

the type of pan you are using can be a factor as well. A heavy pan(cast iron, cast aluminum, triple clad stainless steel) hold heat differently than thinner and lighter cheaper non stick pans.

Mostly though, turn down the heat.

• Crystal2 years agoReport

It was the pan. As I said in the original post, turning the heat down didn't help. But borrowing the roommate's more heavy-duty cookware did the trick. Thanks!

Heat down

That's how I do my sunny side up. First medium heat sizzling pan, then melt the butter, then crack the egg, let the whites cook a bit, spoon on the fat, turn it down to low and I stick a cover on it 1 minute. Or maybe 2. It could be your pan.

• geezer

If the bottom of the egg is burning before the top is done it's TOO HOT !

Turn the heat down !!

Good chance your maoa had aluminum cookware, or pans that were thicker. I woud turn down the heat, and get a thicker skillet. But I always prefer and cook "over easy", which gives basically the same result.

• Gert

Turn the heat down.

• Lolly

I've tried making eggs that way, you have to have a lot of fat and patience. That's why I prefer over easy.

• RoyS

Lower the heat. Non-stick coatings tend to get hotter than non coated pans. The coating absorbs heat more efficiently than bare metal. Even with non-stick baking pans, most recipes say to lower the oven temperature by 25°. Also, you should baste the eggs for the entire cooking time. (Or, go the the thrift store, and buy a bare metal pan (cast iron or stainless steel) just for basted eggs.)