Is it safe to buy a macbook pro with their chip problems now?

Are they gonna fix this or something?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

My understanding is there is good news and bad news...

The good news is...the security problems can be patched in software. (Apple is expected to release a patch shortly.)

The bad news is...the patches basically reduces your system's performance by 30%.

Now then, while the security problem is VERY serious, it's not the end of the world. The exploit can only run if you allow some untrusted code to run on your computer. SO...if you only go to websites you trust are legitimate you should be OK. This would include your bank, Google, Gmail, and so on.

Also, you should be running a good anti-virus/security package. Preferably, one that allows you to block javascript from unknown or untrusted sites.

While I'm sure that both Intel and AMD will fix their processors it's going to take some time before those processors are released into the market, so you should pretty much assume these security issues will be with us for the next 3 to 5 years. Minimum.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

Yes it's safe. The chip problems are in many computers, any computer that uses Intel (which is a LOT of them). The vulnerability will take a lot of work to exploit, it isn't something that just anyone can do. So I'd go ahead and buy that Macbook.

• 2 years ago

Apple kicked off its annual developers conference on Monday and, in one of the more surprising announcements, That said, it's a minor change. The notebook now starts with a 1.8 GHz processor. It had started with a 1.6 GHz processor. That means it should be a little bit faster than it was before.

• PoohBearPenguin
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

Faster processors doesn't address the security issues.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.