Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 3 years ago

Should I go vegan to lose weight?

I am a 15 year old girl who is 5’5 and weighs 180. I carry my weight well but I am not happy with the way I look and I don’t want to gain anymore weight. I don’t like most meats as it is and I can live without cheese and other animal made products. And I heard going vegan makes you lose tons of weight. And for exercise i’ve been running and jumping rope.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

*the people who say no never use science to back up their claims, please do not let these morons tell you it is good to eat 6 eggs a day, and 4 spoons of coconut oil a day is good for the brain.

Louis is speaking truth, these things can not be taken lightly, they need planning and dedication. many unhealthy foods can be called vegan, and some people approach a vegan diet differently, i would hope you approach it with a pure and motivated mind, because pringles, or 1 salad a day is not health.

Since L gave you some solid advice, i will follow up with some info that you can look into, and even share with your parents.

Always love and respect your self, the only person guaranteed to love you is you.

Do not be a slave to trends or fashion, do not give in to peer pressure and look towards your future, hollister hoodies won't matter in a few years.

also i am glad your are tying to find healthy approaches, many girls just try to stave them selves, you do not need to lose a lot of weigh, i think by you just eating healthy your body will find a natural weight by accident, so don't dive in head first.

I am plant based, and i am glad i reverted back to the natural human diet. Do not let anyone shame you for breaking the mold, and actually looking at the science behind why animal products make us sick.

humans are wired to be sheep, and are comfortable with routine, please check out my links carefully, they have peer reviewed science to back the claims up.

do not let anyone else on this site tell you it is healthy to eat 4 spoons of coconut oil or eat 6 eggs a day.

Milton mills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXj76A9hI-o

Youtube thumbnail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rgljrYFjeI

Youtube thumbnail

The Best way to lose weight is to lose it slowly and controlled, no crash dieting, no low carb, no fasting, no lemon and pepper, no high fat, just real healthy food.

Eat hearty meals and always meet your caloric needs, you may actually have to get used to eating more food :D

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550...

nutritionfacts.org/video/caloric-restriction-vs-plant-based-diets/

nutritionfacts.org/video/what-causes-insulin-resistance/

Stick to whole plant foods like: yams, plantain, brown rice, bean/peas/legumes, lentils, quinoa, oats, barley, wholewheat pasta/cous cous, sweet potatoes, parsnips, cassava, leafy greens, veggies and fruits!

Get your healthy oils from Avocados, nuts like walnuts, and seeds like flax, chia and pumkin.

These foods are great for you and in the right combos form almost any meal you can think off.

they provide: phytonutrients, antioxidants, fiber, vitamins and minerals. this also helps control blood glucose levels, and cholesterol levels, reduce inflammation, improve blood flow, feed good gut bacteria and prevent against cancer.

since they are high in water and fiber content, they will keep you feeling full for longer.

nutritionfacts.org/video/paleopoo-what-we-can-learn-from-fossilized-feces/

nutritionfacts.org/video/prebiotics-tending-our-inner-garden/

nutritionfacts.org/video/plant-based-prevention/

nutritionfacts.org/video/how-do-we-know-that-cholesterol-causes-heart-disease/

nutritionfacts.org/video/optimal-cholesterol-level/

also make sure you are getting enough vitamin D3, B12, and iodine

while you get used to the lifestyle change make sure you track your micros and calories on cronometer, and myfitnesspal, not in a neurotic way, but in a healthy am i eating enough way, soon you will become a natural. and not have to check the site.

As for exercise, if you are not currently active, try and go for a 30min walk everyday without fail, try doing the couch to 5k program too once you are confident with your cardio and knee health.i had to do week 1 for 4 weeks haha :D

but it could be any activity, skateboarding, basketball, or gymnastics.

Also start doing body weight exercises at home, use hundredpushups, very basic but useful training guide. they have squats, situps, and dips too :D

you may have to go to your local park to do pullups

http://hundredpushups.com/week1.html

No, working out at 15 will not stunt your growth, exercise promotes health and longevity, it improves balance, coordination, flexibility, tendon health and bone density.

nutritionfacts.org/video/exercise-vs-drugs-for-depression/

nutritionfacts.org/video/longer-life-within-walking-distance/

nutritionfacts.org/video/how-much-should-you-exercise/

• Gary B
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

No! No! No! No!

Vegan is remarkably poorly nutritious.

If you want to lose weight, you need an especially nutritous diet consisting of both vegetable and animal matter.

• lila
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

No. Vegan is a craze led by crazy people. Most of them are malnourished because it's hard to get all your nutrients with such a limited diet.

• 3 years ago

NO, because you need to get enough nutrients while you're growing as fast as you are, and you won't get them from vegetables alone.

Do you eat things like bread, cookies, chips, and pasta? THAT is the stuff you should cut out- and soda and anything with frosting. It's the carbs that will get you, and the sugar, not the meat. And the saturated fat.

Get yourself a big tub of Greek yogurt - it's loaded with protein and calcium,and it's really good for you. Get the one that says 0% - it has no fat in it. Get some carrots or green peppers and munch on that. You can dip fruit in it too- it's great with blueberries or strawberries, and some almonds.

Getyourself some almonds - not the ones with a bunch of sugar or salt, just plain almonds, and some orange flavored cranberries, and mix them. It's really really good, and the nuts have something in them that makes you less a hungry- only have a handful though, because while it's fat that is good for you, they still have some fat in them.

And once a day, have a serving of meat- it could be chicken without the skin, or turkey or fish (NOT breaded and fried), or a peice of LEAN beef no bigger than the palm of your hand. You do need the iron in beef - or even chicken livers, which are great with salsa. The other thing that's great is tuna right out of the can, with a *tiny* bit of low fat mayo and lots of curry powder- it's yummy on slices of green pepper.

And the other thing you should have is exercise - lots of walking. Your entire body needs to move about four times a day, for at least 20 minutes. So look for a dog to walk, or get a friend to go with you, and do a brisk walk, not a let's sniff around every phone pole, but a brisk walk that gets your heart going.

And drink enough water, but don't et on that kick where you drink 8 gallons of water- it won't help. Just make sure what you drink is either weak tea with very little sugar in it if any, or 1% milk, or a little sparkling water with a splash of citrus juice in it for taste.

Don't eat *anything* with any fake sweeteners in it. They can make your body pack on the pounds worse than a small bit of real sugar. The more you can stay with real foods you can identify, the better. If you stay away from carbohydrates and fried food, what you do eat will fill you up faster.

And don't forget, muscle weighs more than fat. Always look at how you feel and how you're shaped- it's far more important than how much you weigh.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

being vegan doesn't make you lose weight. daily exercise and balanced meals will help tho. even with this knowledge for being 15 and 5,5 weighing in at 180 you would only a little little chubby not by any definition fat so you have nothing to fear just stay away from bread, fatty oils and chicken.

• Kano
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Dont go vegan for health reasons.

Most vegans are healthier than the average person, but not because the diet is healthy but because they care about what they eat, the average person does not care what rubbish they put into their bodies.

It is possible to have a healthy vegan diet, but it is costly and hard work to do it properly, you need to consume a wide range of vegetables, fruits and nuts to get all the vitamins and nutrients you need.

A healthy diet is pescatarian (seafood and vegetables)

• Louis
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Full disclosure, I am a vegan and an advocate.

You should not go vegan to lose weight.

You should go vegan if you are concerned with animal rights.

If your primary objective is to lose weight you should cut candy, cookies, chips, fast foods, cake, soda, fried foods, our of your diet. All of those things can be vegan.

and besides, not buying leather shoes and only buying cruelty free shampoo does not affect your weight at all. And those are things that vegans do.

At 180, you are very overweight. And its going to take months of dieting to get down to a healthy weight. Almost any diet won't hurt you for a couple of weeks. but a year of dieting can cause all kinds of problems if not done carefully or intelligently.

I think your best bet is to discuss this with your parents and maybe see a doctor. get on a healthy professionally made meal plan.

• 3 years ago

Not when you are still a teen cause you are still growing for a couple more years (If I were you, I would try to be a vegetarian to see if it work for now.).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.