My pc crashes when playing hardcore games for a long period of time. What part or parts do I need to fix or upgrade to fix this.?

My pc used to crash everytime id play any game but I bought a psu from 350w to 450w and now it crashes only once and a while after playing some games like Grand Theft Auto V or Overwatch for a long period of time. Im wondering if anyone can tell me what my problem might be.

Motherboard- MSI 760gma-p34(fx)(ms-7641)

Memory- 12.1 GB free of 16 GB @1.3GHz

OS- Windows 10

Processor- AMD FX-8320

Gpu: geforce 1050

Favorite Answer

PSU not big enough. imho, you'll need a minimum 550w psu to handle that load ... you're into some fairly intense games there.

temporary workaround ... reduce the graphics quality setting of your games

Source(s): homebulder

If is not heat problem, then most likely gpu or cpu stability. Though for crash, did it just shut off with out error? Or just the game closes? If just the game, then most likely is the gpu. If you overclocked, then it's better to tune it down or maybe even underclock to see if that help.

If just crash without error message, then there is the cpu, mobo, ram, or psu. Your psu looks fine so out with that as it has way more than enough power.

Any Cpu overclock? That one could be the cause. I don't know much about that mobo but the power delivery may be an issue for the crash too. I know some older mobo can't handle the power delivery properly and many parts doesn't power throttle. For ram, just run a test to see if there is any problem. Basically, if you OC, revert to normal and run a test. If you didn't, then try underclock and lower the power then run a test. I think it's either the cpu or mobo in this case if GPU is fine.

• How do i run a test for the ram or OC?

It is 99% likely that it is overheating. Approach it from that viewpoint. Clean and check the fans and vents and air intakes to be sure they can draw enough air.

Arrange cables to allow airflow. If you rig has heat monitoring software, use it to verify overheating.

• Adrian

Technically, your PSU is way more than enough, provided it is a name brand PSU, bronze efficiency or better rated. Many no-name brands do not supply the proper wattage, regardless of their claims. It would have helped if you had listed the PSU you got.

Most likely cause is overheating of "something". Usually this is the video card itself as a prime suspect, the CPU next, and in some cases, the PSU overheating can cause crashes under heavy loads.

It all boils down to checking all the cooling fans (GPU, CPU, PSU), and clearing out any dust or lint in any fans you have. Also, make sure your case fans are working properly, to expel any excess heat from inside the case. A PSU fan does NOT count as a case cooling fan....

Get a bigger PSU. Improve cooling in your computer case.