Happy New Year, Rock & Pop...it's time for the annual validation of the Everybody Drink Questions List?

Here's the list that served us well during 2017: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20170...

1. Why aren't Rock and Pop separate categories on Y!A?

2. Why does everyone hate Nickelback?

3. Why does today's music suck, "rock is dead"?

4. Vans Warped Tour questions?

5. "Special Snowflake" questions (e.g. "I'm 14 and I like the Beatles, am I weird?")

6. "Overrated" questions (inferring that a band, music act or musician is "overrated")?

7. "I hate posers" questions (implying that you should not wear a band Tshirt or dare to go to a band's concert if you don't intimately know every album, song and band member)?

8. What is the name of this song (or video)? (Double shot may be declared if question is exceptionally vague; doo doo dun dun woah woah aren't notes and don't help with song recognition)

9. Catch all for stupid concert questions (what time should I arrive, I'm underage will they let me in, how do I avoid mosh pits/wall of death)?

10. What guitar/amp settings do I use to sound like ________ ?

I am requesting that all denizens of Rock & Pop reply to this question, giving your full or partial approval, and suggesting any additions, deletions or changes. Mahalo!

Note: We need to keep the list to 10 questions or less.

Okay, so two definite additions for 2018:

-"Is ________ Satanic?" and

-"Genre hair-splitting" questions.

• Danny
    Favorite Answer

Maybe I’m getting (too) forgiving, but I wonder if the List will be seen by some basically good kids as an old-guy piss & moan about their nature; people tell me I was young once, too…

Per your current version of your classic list, my thots are:

1. Kinda dead in the current water. (No, not my thots, your #1...)

2. Still a little valid, but perhaps better to imbed a blank to handle the proposed artist/band.

3. Fine. Still works.

4. Another dead one. #9 covers it.

5. This is where I wince, as it could be expanded as great deal (back to that, if I get that far).

6. Better expanded to ratings in general, and perhaps to include set-up Q’s for artist/band A vs. artist/band B, when all that’s sought is support or agreement, etc.

7. This has been morphing into a variety of Q’s on music purity and propriety, particularly when genre-specific (and again, maybe more).

8. Still solid, like #3.

9. Good enough; picks up in summer, too.

10. Obviously a fine one (heh, heh). “How can I scream like ___” stuff is trending, too. Trailing off into learning-type Q's, like the "easy" way to learn to play an instrument, doing a cold audition with only months on the instrument and just a week to go, the general "plug & play" approach. Sigh...

OK, per #5 and the vast slippery ground covered…

"Is it weird that…”; Lots on friends liking/hating this or that, being unable to find a band mate in a school; “My mom won’t let me (whatever)”, “Songs to play for my (crush)”, etc. Etc…

And re #7 (and also related to #6), Genre hair-splitting, as if the world must know the differences, about as successful as finding The One True God.

So, my friend, that’s my shot for now. I hope you will do well, pilgrim.

• Hurricain
      3 years agoReport

As far as your old guy piss and moan comment...well, duh. You're 100% accurate. ;-) I'm guilty and it would be downright silly of me to deny it.

Haha that list is epic. :P I got one for you to add. Are Slayer, and Iron Maiden, or any other Metal band Satanic?

• Hurricain
      3 years agoReport

YES, the Satanic question is a must-add. Can't believe I didn't think of that one. Thanks Hunter! Happy New Year!

1. Why aren't Rock and Pop separate categories on Y!A? this used to be so annoying, and now i'm practically nostalgic for it. there was a time when there were enough questions to consider separating rock and pop, amazing.

2. Why does everyone hate Nickelback? yeah, this one is evergreen

3. Why does today's music suck, "rock is dead"? too much of this lately

4. Vans Warped Tour questions? haven't been seeing this one too often any more

5. "Special Snowflake" questions (e.g. "I'm 14 and I like the Beatles, am I weird?") another evergreen

6. "Overrated" questions (inferring that a band, music act or musician is "overrated")? in the era of 10 questions a day, this isn't so bad anymore. at least its a question about a band.

7. "I hate posers" questions (implying that you should not wear a band Tshirt or dare to go to a band's concert if you don't intimately know every album, song and band member)? i haven't seen many of these lately, but i used to put them in their place by moving the question to the fashion category.

8. What is the name of this song (or video)? (Double shot may be declared if question is exceptionally vague; doo doo dun dun woah woah aren't notes and don't help with song recognition) i've started to enjoy these. i've got a mental list of answers for every variation: do do do da da da by the police, dum dum (happy song) and fa fa fa (sad song) by otis redding, oop bop ba dah by dizzy gillespe etc...but really, the answer always seems to be seven nation army, the most helpful thing would probably be to just say that and get it right half the time.

9. Catch all for stupid concert questions (what time should I arrive, I'm underage will they let me in, how do I avoid mosh pits/wall of death)? kids gotta learn some time

10. What guitar/amp settings do I use to sound like ________ ? as a bit of a music gear nerd sometimes, this might be the one gear question that i never feel like trying to answer.

salut!

• Hurricain
      3 years agoReport

Thanks wire. You make a valid point that there are so few questions nowadays, even some that used to be annoying are better than no questions at all. I mean, I hate those "Band vs Band" questions, but without them, the traffic would be cut by 50%.

• WazUp

1. Well there's rock with pop or pop with rock music

2.I never paid attention to them

3. Rock N Roll,rock went into roll down hill!

4. N/A

5. Trend alert!

6. Hollywood

7. Strike a pose,Vogue

8. Ask génie

9. Arrived too late,too many peep's man

10. Air glitter guitar

Add a category for the kind of questions that Our Very Own Resident R&P Expert on Nothing and Everything just can't help but answer! :D

Or, as we've seen recently, one for the users who ask something and then proceed to answer themselves: "Is John Lennon a good singer? I think he was because blah blah blah"

• Hurricain
      3 years agoReport

Are there any questions that he doesn't answer? Even when he has nothing at all to contribute?

As for your second comment...that's only one user, and she comes and goes. Sophie is special, in a short bus kind of way. She's kind of the 2018 Death To Injustices.