A Bit Curious About Carl Sagan?

Did anybody ever tell Carl Sagan that for such a supposedly brilliant guy, his thinking was very muddy when it came to UFOs and possible visitations by an extraterrestrial civilization? His two assumptions—that there may be millions of civilizations in the universe but they can’t come here, and that it’s because... show more Did anybody ever tell Carl Sagan that for such a supposedly brilliant guy, his thinking was very muddy when it came to UFOs and possible visitations by an extraterrestrial civilization?

His two assumptions—that there may be millions of civilizations in the universe but they can’t come here, and that it’s because our planet isn’t special— both assumptions seem to be patently stupid. It’s a stupid mindset that mainstream science seems to become infected with, as it’s not logical to assume that because our science says that faster-than-light (and by implication, star travel) is “impossible,” that all other civilizations agrees with that assessment.

If anyone could ask a scientist from the 17th century would it be possible to see moving pictures on a small box of things taking place a continent away, not knowing about radio waves or electronics, that scientist would say it’s impossible. He’d be wrong. He’d say that it was impossible to fly across the Atlantic in a few hours.

There would be a long list of impossible things that we do now every day. What a difference a few hundred years makes to one’s way of thinking—and to technology. So why did Sagan think that every civilization in the universe is at the exact same level of technology we are? Or has our limitations? Billions and billions of stars, and not one of them anywhere has a civilization hundreds or thousands of years more advanced—not one of them found away around relativity? Right...
Update: You know, it's the Wikipedia article that said Sagan had those two assumptions. Now if that information is incorrect, blame the morons who edit the Wiki.
Update 2: For those who object to my criticism, I say, "Don't be so sanctimonious!" Physicist have ripped on each other ever since the science began. Even Sagan himself didn't like the way physicists tore into Immanuel Velikovsky. And I was just making a point. If it wasn't Sagan, would any other... show more For those who object to my criticism, I say, "Don't be so sanctimonious!" Physicist have ripped on each other ever since the science began. Even Sagan himself didn't like the way physicists tore into Immanuel Velikovsky. And I was just making a point. If it wasn't Sagan, would any other physicist's similar opinion be accepted so quickly or so easily? Heck, no...!