I am taking Organic Chemistry 2 and the semester just started and I'm already lost? Is this going to affect my chances for med school?

I'm enrolled in the second semester of organic chemistry at UC Riverside. The instructor on the first day drew an NMR spectra for propyl benzoate and I couldn't tell how he was figuring it out from the molecular formula C10H12O2 using spectra... show more I'm enrolled in the second semester of organic chemistry at UC Riverside. The instructor on the first day drew an NMR spectra for propyl benzoate and I couldn't tell how he was figuring it out from the molecular formula C10H12O2 using spectra signals:

https://www.news-medical.net/image.axd?picture=2015%2F3%2FB2.jpg
Update: From what I remembered doing in lab, the IR data for propyl benzoate is 1720, 120 and 1010 cm^-1 indicating an ester, or C=), sp2 C-O stretch, sp3 C-O stretch. I knew from look at its NMR spectra it had an aromatic ring but just looking at the signal between 4 and 5 I could see a -CH2 attached to an electronegative... show more From what I remembered doing in lab, the IR data for propyl benzoate is 1720, 120 and 1010 cm^-1 indicating an ester, or C=), sp2 C-O stretch, sp3 C-O stretch. I knew from look at its NMR spectra it had an aromatic ring but just looking at the signal between 4 and 5 I could see a -CH2 attached to an electronegative atom, say oxygen. I thought it was carbonyl, but that would've brought the -CH2 signal to maybe 2.5 instead its attached to oxygen.
Update 2: I would like to pass this class but the instructor said in previous classes, he had to fail 25% of his students and most of the students here at this university are actually smart. You couldn't get into UCR unless you have a 3.9-4.4 high school GPA and decent SAT scores above 1200. I'm afraid that my... show more I would like to pass this class but the instructor said in previous classes, he had to fail 25% of his students and most of the students here at this university are actually smart. You couldn't get into UCR unless you have a 3.9-4.4 high school GPA and decent SAT scores above 1200. I'm afraid that my previous studying skills aren't up to par.
1 answer 1