2001 Pontiac sunfire ob2 question please help !!lol?

So here s some background information I parked my car one day when I turned it off it made a noise for about 20 minutes in the engine and smelled like something was burning it eventually stopped so the next morning I go to start it and my starter burnt out so I replaced it as well as my spark plugs and belts topped... show more So here s some background information I parked my car one day when I turned it off it made a noise for about 20 minutes in the engine and smelled like something was burning it eventually stopped so the next morning I go to start it and my starter burnt out so I replaced it as well as my spark plugs and belts topped up on oil etc all the car will do now is crank but will not fire I ve tried everything so I bought an ob2 basic one hand held I plugged it in and it will not read any codes but my engine light is on and car won t start so it should be reading something because the car doesn t work I tried the scanner on my Chevy equinox and it read codes but will not read codes on my sunfire how do I get it to read codes ? Am I doing something wrong ? Any suggestions? 2001 Pontiac Sunfire GT Coupe 2.4L
8 answers 8