Is it possible to check if your hard drive is defective or 'going bad" by 'checking disc'? how do you do it?

as I have been wondering if have a bad /defective hard drive disc as have gotten two x a blue screen saying that it had shut down windows to avoid a crash and this has , again, happened twice since got new hard drive. and I replaced the hard drive because I needed a bigger one. the previous hard drive was fine but... show more as I have been wondering if have a bad /defective hard drive disc as have gotten two x a blue screen saying that it had shut down windows to avoid a crash and this has , again, happened twice since got new hard drive. and I replaced the hard drive because I needed a bigger one. the previous hard drive was fine but not big enough.
Update: I actually had it run through the files a few days ago and it took I think a couple of hours? anyways, I didn't wait around for it to finish, but when I came back in room , the computer had started up normally and no messages, does that mean my hard drive is not a problem and it is something else? what could it be? show more I actually had it run through the files a few days ago and it took I think a couple of hours? anyways, I didn't wait around for it to finish, but when I came back in room , the computer had started up normally and no messages, does that mean my hard drive is not a problem and it is something else? what could it be?