How viable is a career in archeology?

I've always been interested in very old cultures and religions, and I like looking at old artifacts and learning what they were used for. Other than that, I don't really know anything about archeology. Is it hard to get into? Do you need a doctorates or something? Bonus: How specific does your path have to... show more I've always been interested in very old cultures and religions, and I like looking at old artifacts and learning what they were used for. Other than that, I don't really know anything about archeology. Is it hard to get into? Do you need a doctorates or something?

Bonus: How specific does your path have to be? Can you be a general archeologist who studies various ancient cultures, or must you focus on a few related ones?
Update: Where would I even start? What types of degrees do you get to become an archaeologist?