What are signs that your hard drive disc is about to stop working?

if getting a infrequent blue screen saying that windows has shut down to avoid a crash ...is this usually due to hardware or software issue? is this also a sign that hard drive is going bad? it has only happened twice now in 6 months since replaced my hard drive. (previous hard drive was good, but wanted bigger... show more if getting a infrequent blue screen saying that windows has shut down to avoid a crash ...is this usually due to hardware or software issue? is this also a sign that hard drive is going bad?

it has only happened twice now in 6 months since replaced my hard drive. (previous hard drive was good, but wanted bigger one)

can explain?
Update: ok, so how do I fix this issue? you think it isn't serious? I got a new hard drive 6 months ago, not because previous one had issues, but because I needed a bigger hard drive. and this has happened twice in past month ..what should I do? thanks
Update 2: why do you think I am getting this error? how happened?