In retrospect, was it clearly a mistake to grant ONE MAN supreme and absolute power just because 'someone' burned down the Reichstag?

As serious and scary as the burning of the Reichstag was in 1933, how naive and gullible does a government and people have to be to give up separation of powers and give all power to just one man or even just one branch of government.

It seems to me, even in my humble and comfortable armchair in 2018, that the Germans of 1933 SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER! Am I just being too judgmental as a "Monday morning quarterback?" Or am I right to think the Germans of 1933 should have known better?

• Favorite Answer

and yet many Germans still want that......it damn near happened in the US between 2008 and 16... a LOT of naive and gullible ones here.... there are a lot of people in the US who are working towards a police state like the EU or worse.. that is the progressive(fascist) agenda... the obamanation could not quite do it... and we just dodged the bullet with his designated successor.... but they are still working hard to void the founding principles of this country, and impose a totalitarian state.....

• Mike

maybe they SHOULD have known better, but obviously, they did not see Hitler as the REAL threat he turned into. Many THOUGHT they could control him--in retrospect, they were wrong. Same as when they GAVE AWAY Czechoslovakia in 1938 to avoid war--appeasement NEVER works and encourages more similar moves.

• Jackboot
      2 years agoReport

The German people aren’t the ones who gave away Czechoslovakia. They gladly accepted it.

Yes

Go back and learn some history. Germans and the Reichstag are not the same thing. I'm surprised Yahoo permitted you to use the word "Re ich" - it used to be banned here.

• Jackboot
      2 years agoReport

That you say “Germans and the Reichstag are not the same thing,” when I never said nor implied that they are, tells everyone who reads this that it is YOU who is lacking something, intellectually. You should be embarrassed!

• Bobbin

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.