Can I make my own fully automatic firearm from scratch for my own personal use at a firing range?

I have a sweet knack for milling metal. Say I bought steel and iron blocks and created my own functioning firearm that can shoot multiple bullets with one pull of the trigger. I made every mechanism, every joint, every groove, and every line inside of it, not purchasing any parts from other gun makers. What's the legality on that?

I tried googling it, but all I could find were laws about owning a weapon you bought, not if you made it yourself.

Do I need specific licenses? Is it outright illegal? Where does the US stand on this?

Favorite Answer

NO, according to federal law, you cannot manufacture NFA firearms without first registering them with a Form 1, period. And per the Hughes Amendment of the Firearm Owners Protection Act, all personally owned NFA "machine guns" (the NFA term for an fully automatic firearm) must have been registered by the time the Act was signed in 1986. So unless you have a time machine.... This is why fully automatic firearms are so expensive and hard to get, there are more gun owners, but no more automatic weapons entering the civilian market.

While most states require machine gun owners to follow federal laws, it is conceivable that a state does not have a direct law regarding the manufacture or ownership of machine guns. In that case the state authorities may leave you alone, but the does not stop the FBI or ATF from paying you a visit.

• Robin

if you get regustard first then yes

It's illegal, even if you build it yourself, but I mean if your capable of building your very own full auto weapon completely from scratch, why not build your own semi auto and be proud of that?

• Mr.357

Not in the U.S.A. unless your registered it before 1986 or so. In the Khyber Pass, SURE, and can probably even sell them if you do a decent job.