promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 years ago

Why do Christians have so much trouble with math? Not just their faulty belief that one plus one plus one equals one, but even more basic?

If Jesus was killed on a Friday night, and got up on a Sunday, how many days was he in hell? Was it 3 days, as Christians claim?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It's not so much trouble with math, but trouble with how Sabbaths worked near the time of Passover.

Most likely Jesus died at 3 pm on Thursday, April 6, AD 30 as explained below.

A "Sabbath Day" was a day of rest. The Hebrew word "Sabbath" is derived from the Hebrew word for "rest". In most cases, this was every Saturday of the year. But at the time of Passover, there were two extra days of rest (or Sabbaths).

Ex 12:15 “‘Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread; even the first day you shall put away yeast out of your houses, for whoever eats leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel. 12:16 In the first day there shall be to you a holy convocation, and in the seventh day a holy convocation; no kind of work shall be done in them, except that which every man must eat, that only may be done by you.

As these Sabbaths could be any day of the week, they were also called "special" Sabbaths. Most people, when attempting to determine when Jesus died, overlook or ignore those special Sabbaths.

Jn 19:31 Therefore the Jews, because it was the Preparation Day, so that the bodies wouldn’t remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a special one), asked of Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

Tracing back the Jewish lunar calendar, Bible scholars have calculated that the first day of the Unleavened Bread Feast was on a Friday, April 7, AD 30. Therefore that would have been a day of imposed rest (i.e. a Sabbath). That obviously meant that Jesus died the day before, Thursday about 3 pm, which gave Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea about three hours to bury Jesus' body before sundown when the special Sabbath began.

Interestingly, the Greek word (Sabbaton) in Mt 28:1 often translated as “Sabbath” is actually a plural form of the word, hence some translations (ISV, YLT) translate the word as “Sabbaths”, thus it was after the “Sabbaths” that Mary Magdalene came to the tomb.

Therefore Jesus was buried for three days and three nights just as he predicted (Mt 12:40), although the first "day" was a very short one, possibly only minutes.

(Also note that “three days and three nights” was somewhat of a Hebrew idiom and did not literally mean always three full days and nights, i.e. 72 hours, but could include parts of a day or night.)

• That's like how they think the unrepentant criminal hanging next to him went to heaven just for kissing Jesus' butt. But Jesus said he would see him in "paradise" that evening. So if Jesus went to hell for three days that means that paradise is, like the original Christians believed, hell.

So now the false prophets, which Jesus warned them about, have them confused into thinking paradise and heaven are the same thing.

Source(s): Simple math.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

they believe he got up on monday not sunday - that is why it is called easter monday

• 2 years ago

Not Christians. Church people from Christendom are who you are talking about.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ralph
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

The fact of the matter: The Lord Jesus Christ started suffering on half day Thurday, full day Friday, full day Saturday and a half a day Sunday, which makes 3 days in the heart of the earth. Which fulfilled the Prophecy of Jonas.

Source(s): King James Holy Bible
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

God was and will never be in hell

• 2 years ago

I have a math degree and my favorite mathematician is Cantor. Who's yours?

• Lv 5
      2 years agoReport

Okay, then. If Jesus was killed on a Friday night, and he rose from the dead on a Sunday, how many days did he spend in hell? Was it 3?

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

No, no, you got it all wrong.

Partial days are counted as full days. And then it makes sense.

-

• 2 years ago

Lets not forget that pi doesn't equal 3.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/70/54/9c/70549cd2d9f97c0...

• ...Show all comments
    • ?
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

I listed: 3.141565492
      Should be 3.141592654
      See, I was close. I just mixed up the "92" and the "654"
      Well, I memorized that about 45 years ago. Rusty, I guess.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.