Question about laptop battery?

I unplugged the charger from my laptop and the computer then went to sleep because the laptop died. However, now after I turned it back on the compter doesn't seem to be recognizing the battery. It says plugged in not charging, which it always has said but it would alsoalways say the percentage available and... show more I unplugged the charger from my laptop and the computer then went to sleep because the laptop died. However, now after I turned it back on the compter doesn't seem to be recognizing the battery. It says plugged in not charging, which it always has said but it would alsoalways say the percentage available and now it does not and when I click on the icon it shows a picture of a gray battery instead of green.

I tried testing the battery in HP support assistant but it stopped responding and wouldn't finish.

What does it sound like could be wrong and how can I fix this?