My car makes a rapid clicking when I try to start it. Car won't start below freezing temps. Is it just bad battery? See description?

Rapid clicking (lower pitch), Gatling gun continues as long as key is turned. Everything electric in car works 100%. I've left it on for 10 min just to see if the electric to the car would "die". It did not. Shouldn't the lights dim or electrical stuff in vehicle have problems too. I jumped it drove 4-5 miles and it worked for about 1 day. This just happened. It happened second day of below freezing temps. Making dead battery soundelectric in vehicle is fine. Anything else you can think of?

Favorite Answer

Its the batty. and it needs to be replaced, cold weather will let you know real fast if its bad or not. this one IS bad.

Even tho your lights burned bright, it take lots more power to start your engine.

• From now on, any time you hear that machine gun sound, you know whats wrong with it. It pays to carry a set of jumper cables in your car...all the time. If not for you, maybe for someone else you can help get out of a bind.

It's either a bad battery or the alternator quit charging your battery. Charge the battery with a portable battery charger set to 12 volts, 10 amps for 6 hours and then drive directly to an auto parts store to have the charging system and battery tested. It's a fee service.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

There is no more positive indication of a bad battery than the machine gun sound when you try to start it. A jump should get you going to where you can get it replaced.

Get a jump. Use a block heater.