Where should I set my story?

I'm writing a story about high school in suburbia in the 1980s. I've figured out everything but where I want the story to be set. I can't decide between Illinois or Ohio. What do you think?

Also, feel free to leave any suggestions!

Favorite Answer

Illinois is roughly the same size as Bangladesh or Nepal. Ohio is roughly the same size as Honduras or Benin. There is a wide variety in both places in terms of what daily life is like. Living in Chicago or one of its suburbs would be a far cry from living in the cornfields of southern Illinois. The same can be said of living in a place like Youngstown or Toledo in Ohio compared to a sleepy little town in the Ohio Valley. Unless it's absolutely integral to the telling of the tale that you reveal the location of the town, then don't. I wrote two stories recently that were set in the US, in one case I opted to use a fictitious town of my own creation and in the other I revealed nothing more than that the action unfolds somewhere out on the high plains. You ought to choose the setting that you can bring to life most convincingly. That should be the deciding factor.

• Marli

They are adjoining U.S. states. Same topography. Same social makeup. Same Great Lake. Local and a few state laws might differ, but not significantly. You could as easily set it in Indiana or Michigan. Pick the city and research its local neighborhoods and local celebrations.

If you can't decide, perhaps it doesn't matter. Toss a coin. If, while it's in the air, you find yourself thinking "I really hope it's ..." then that's the one you really wanted, and you should use that one, regardless of which side the coin lands on.

Why not Italy or Serbia or England or literally any other country other than the US? Why does everything have to be so American centric?

Taco Bell.

What difference does it make? I'm not being factitious, I am asking a serious question.