How to make rats lose weight?

Obviously it's done to diet and exercise. The exercise part is fine they get out for two hours a day (is that enough?) in their play room. But I'm not sure what is best to feed them to help them lose weight. Like fruit has sugar in it so would things like nuts, seeds and vegetables be a good idea? What... show more Obviously it's done to diet and exercise. The exercise part is fine they get out for two hours a day (is that enough?) in their play room.
But I'm not sure what is best to feed them to help them lose weight. Like fruit has sugar in it so would things like nuts, seeds and vegetables be a good idea? What about meats?

Can't get them into a vet until after Christmas and I only got them this week from someone and it wasn't exactly planned for my to get these pets. I've had rats before but none of them got this fat. These rats have fat rolls lol.

Thanks for any advice.
Update: Totally forget to mention these rats are about 31/2 years old so sleep most of the time and aren't really interested in being active for too long.