Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 3 years ago

Why do some music videos or any videos that get uploaded online generate hundreds of millions to billions of views?

I am a Christian, and I am curious about this.

Why do some videos generate that many views?

I think any video does well if it generates AT LEAST a million views, but 100's OF MILLIONS or BILLIONS to me is insane.

This is a little maddening to me- why? Because I would like to think that some GOSPEL/CHRISTIAN artists would have videos uploaded online that have THAT much of an impact.

I haven't really found any GOSPEL/CHRISTIAN videos with that many views, except maybe this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

Youtube thumbnail

I don't really know if this counts as a Christian/Gospel video. Don't know if it was intended to be one, or if the guy performing was a Christian or not. But kudos to the people who uploaded the video he's a Christian and the song is in fact a Gospel/Christian one.

Whether that's true or not, why did THIS video get 100's of millions of views?

Could all this be Biblical prophecy being fulfilled?

2 Timothy 3:

"3 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God."

Most/many of the videos that do generate 100's of millions to billions of views are utter garbage.

I am not trolling- I am generally curious about all this. Please help- thank you.

I like that Hawaiian guy's video- that's not garbage or idle fluff.

Think of how of an impact someone like Michael Jackson WOULD have had on the world if he'd been a GOSPEL/CHRISTIAN artist.

Think of how much of an impact someone like Michael Jackson WOULD have had on the world if he'd been a GOSPEL/CHRISTIAN artist. - FIXED.

Most/many of the videos that do generate 100's of millions to billions of views are utter garbage or idle fluff. - FIXED

2 Timothy 3:1-4:

But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God - FIXED

To Juli: How do you know the Bible has nothing to do with what I said? A LOT of videos that get 100's of millions to billions of views are STUPID, or are utter garbage or idle fluff.

That all sounds like "vain amusements" to me.

To Punkin Eater: Not all Christian/Gospel videos are about BIBLE STORIES if that's what your inferring.

How are Gospel/Christian videos boring?

Gospel/Christian videos are GOOD if there's an ANOINTING on them and they touch people. If an artist performs a song and there's NO anointing, it's a waste of time.

• Fly G
    Favorite Answer

You make some excellent points.

I think the verse about how people will act in the last days is precisely what a lot of people are doing these days. Plus with things happening with Israel and Isis, and other verses about the last days, it seems very solid to consider ourselves in the last days. Yet, God's measure of time is different than ours. It could be a short time till all hell breaks loose, or it could be another generation or two. The key is to be prepared, yet keep our joy and enthusiasm as if nothing is really wrong. After all, this world has always been full of treachery. And, there is still so much good in the world. Most people are still generally good, at heart, especially in certain places.

I recommend reading David Jeremiah's books about prophecy and end times. Is this the End? and What in the world is going on? He's the best teacher of revelation and end times that I've found.

When it comes to going viral, secular music and movies seem to be much more likely to do so than Christian media. But this echoes our nature. Finding God, focusing on Him, and doing His will takes effort and determination. It's way easier to float downstream than swim upstream. The average person is quicker to jam out to aggressive rifts and addictive ear candy, than to listen to hymns or Christian music. This isn't to say the same person doesn't love hymns, in church, among other people in the allotted time slot. At any given moment, given the choice between kicking a soccer ball or praying, most people will choose the release of aggression. They understand it more than praying.

Much music and movies are distractions from God's message and path. They have something either forbidden or not recommended by God. Our nature is to be fascinated with these things, and flirt with them. It's only when we really believe in God, understand Him, and work to stay close to Him, that we find a deeper need to be free from all those things.

Mercy Me's I can only Imagine shows 22 million views, which is pretty respectable. It's about the most famous Christian song I can think of. But I do think new, yet unwritten Christian songs could surpass that. They would have to channel a deep love for God in a way that grips anyone with a heart. It would have to be very infectious, and not be about anything controversial.

If only all media full of sin was kept out of the spotlight as effectively as Christianity is kept out of the spotlight.

I remember fondly growing up in the 70's when most tv and music was wholesome, and we'd get in trouble in school over the slightest things. We knew not to swear or cross lines at all. Society didn't tolerate most of that stuff. You had to be an adult and go out of your way to see R rated movies or hear trashy music. Now it's nearly the opposite. You have to build a fortress to avoid bad influences of people and media, and go out of your way to find pure people and media.

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's "Somewhere over the rainbow / wonderful world" is one of the most beautiful songs to come out in the last 20 years. It's not a Christian song, but a rather spiritual rendition of those old favorites from a kinder, gentler time in history. I think it filled a real void in music, being all about love and spirit and gratitude. Being a secular song, it wasn't limited by any genre. It's been in many movies and commercials. It's just such a perfect interpretation of the meaning behind those two songs. I wish he had written 10 albums full of equally beautiful, iconic music.

I really think God and His attributes are the most beautiful things in this world. I think hymns capture this beauty well, and are the most beautiful songs in the world. But there's not been many modern attempts to write songs that truly capture the overwhelming beauty, joy, and peace of heaven itself. What would a song written by the Holy Spirit sound like? What would God's own chorus of angels sing? I think some truly noble attempts at capturing this could reach those half-a-billion view marks. People long for the spirit of God, even if they're not sure what it is or how to detect it. They long for love and peace and joy instead of the tired old aggressive party music, and dark music.

I would encourage any musician embracing this vision to try to write an entire song about a particular scripture verse, scriptural concept, or spiritual experience or moment. To journal their spiritual dreams and put them to music. Write the soundtrack for one week in heaven. Thoughts of God / Heaven and the Bible itself is the greatest treasure of inspiration there is, and there's a million unwritten songs within it all, just waiting to be released.

I honestly have no clue. They seem to be tapping into some common thread.

Most Christian music is boring, predictable and repetitious.

But this is one of my favorites, with only 22k views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fgjvwPOyYs

Youtube thumbnail

--

Regards,

John Popelish