Why are psych patients treated like criminals?

I have very bad depression. I've had depression for about 7 years. I've been in the emergency room several times for psych evaluations. My first time I was 17, which allowed my to go to the children's ER for my psych eval. I did't feel like a criminal then, because they treated me very nicely . But... show more I have very bad depression. I've had depression for about 7 years. I've been in the emergency room several times for psych evaluations. My first time I was 17, which allowed my to go to the children's ER for my psych eval. I did't feel like a criminal then, because they treated me very nicely . But once I turned 18 and had to go to the adult hospital for the first time, I was so scared. They force you into a room that looks like solitary confinement with cameras, take your clothes and made you wear paper ones, don't allow you to call anyone, and police officers are standing in front of your door. And then what really bothered me was the fact that there was a guy just sitting at the computer with the video of me, staring like I was a dangerous animal that needed to be contained, and then when I walked out to use the restroom, he stood straight up and pointed at me like I was about to kill someone, when simply I had to use the restroom. I had one nurse even snatch my purse out of my hand. And another claim she found drugs in my bra, when I have never even done drugs or even smoke. I'm a very shy and sensitive person. I'm a young 20-year-old female who's had a very hard time wanting to become an adult. And these experiences at the hospital have made my depression even worse. I stay up a night and cry because of the way I was treated. I mean cardiac or cancer patients don't get treated that way. So why do psychs? Mental illness is no different than a physical illness.
2 answers 2