Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 3 years ago

What if you cannot find a purpose to go on living as a senior citizen?

• Ranger
    Favorite Answer

Truthfully, you find a reason to continue living, such as not wanting to cause your children or grandchildren grief.

If you can't find a reason to continue living, then you move to one of the states with assisted suicide and go through the process with a psychologist and medical doctor. Much better for your self and everyone that would have to clean up the mess created by stepping in front of a bus.

interesting question. Imho when you become a senior you no longer have a purpose, you have to MAKE your own purpose. Like you want to do a portrait of your grandparents, you want to complete an afghan or comforter for your grandchild, you want to see Niagra Falls or Hawaii, you want to see on tv a Christmas program....anything you can look forward to.

Whatever you do please PLEASE do not kill yourself. Whether you believe me or not you'll not be solving a single problem, only making things infinitely worse for yourself in the long run plus causing your family if you have one an inordinate amount of grief. Suicide is never the answer.

God loves you no matter whether you are 8 years old or 80. You can reach a level of God consciousness when you can really feel God's love. I have been through a lot but aside from all the bad stuff, I do feel loved by God.

List your personal traits and skills and go to your local volunteer centre where they will have details of all local organisations who accept volunteers and will usually advise what would suit you. Perhaps you could look for a charity that supports something you care about and find out how you might be able to raise funds with a group or independently. if you drive, take people to medical appointments or if you're more ambitious find out about trustee opportunities or train for a probation officer, victim support worker, advocate or magistrate.

• ?

You could try religion.

Before doing anything drastic, please read the New Testament; starting with the Gospel of John, then Romans. I found answers there.

• ?

Take out a third mortgage on the house that used to be yours and spend it on a replica Batmobile from the 1970's series and demand to be driven around in it daily.

List in your will that your kids will all have to discuss amongst themselves who gets it when you die. Last one who makes it out of the discussion alive wins and if more than one survives, it gets donated to whomever is the most hated leader of a country in the world.

Make sure to never leave your room with pants/underwear. You may offend people and scar visiting kids for life, or whatever, but you're dying soon. You're no longer required to give a f*.

Leave your window open, screen removed, and lights on all night to attract the largest quantity of months/mosquitos possible.

If that doesn't give you something to look forward to, nothing will. In a way, I'm sort of jealous of people who live there.

I hated watching older people being talked to like they're 3 year old's when I visited my Grandmother, I wanted to get up and beat the crap out of all of them and put them all in wheelchair's, their live's must be so empty to have to stoop that low, their eye's would gleam with pleasure while the old people looked terrified, they steal their medication aswell, old people's house's get broken into and people take their medication when they're asleep, because their social worker's tell their criminal mate's who's been prescribed what, then they think they're going even more crazy, because their medication's gone and they can't take it, It's so dangerous because it is something that has and does happen, but criminal's have way too much right's because they're allowed more opportunitie's to prove how wonderful they are than the average person. Before my Grandmother got turfed into a resthome she was living alone and starit after my Grandfather died my dad's sister had her put on medication because she said she was crazy so then, when she said there was some-one walking around her house at night, that was ground,s to seize her assett's, Looney, money hungry b*tch. Then she lost it all in a failed finance company, after my Grandmother said to make sure I get the money she left me, But I don't care about the money I just want to know why they weren't both cremated together and thrown in the ocean like they wanted! My Dad's Dad said on the horizon at sunset, when I thought about it, I'ld be chasing the horizon forever. That was a really Irish thing to say.

As Andy Dufresne said in The Shawshank Redemption "it comes down to a simple choice, get busy living or get busy dying".