What is the best way to read something boring?

I've got to read reaserch articles and they are soooooo long and boring. They seem so irrelevant and I don't understand why someone would waste time researching it. A lot of them assume that you understand what they're on about and they don't do much informing, more like promoting themselves or... show more I've got to read reaserch articles and they are soooooo long and boring. They seem so irrelevant and I don't understand why someone would waste time researching it. A lot of them assume that you understand what they're on about and they don't do much informing, more like promoting themselves or promoting others. I will read a line, then one sentence will completely take me off track and I get demotivated to continue.

Is there any technique you have came up with for reading boring material and still understanding it? It's very overwhelming looking at a wall of 'times new roman font' written in such an abstract way compared to how everything else in the world is written. It's frustrating.