Why does the engine run when I spray starter fluid in the intake?

The mechanic just replaced the fuel pump. When I spray starter fluid in the intake it runs until I shut the engine off When I try to start the engine again, it cranks but will not run.New battery and cables, new plugs and wires, new alternator, new starter, new TPS and, all fuses and relays are in good working order..2006 Impala 3.9 automatic. Thanks for any possible solution

PS: new throttle body with sensor.

• CB
    Favorite Answer

Is not getting a rich enough charge of fuel to start. OR is getting to much air in the choke circuit OR and this happened to my son's older Acura - same symptom but randomly need a shot of starting fluid - distributor was messed up when he told me I was shocked but the car worked fine after Pep Boys (of all places) figured it out.

• ?

It sounds like the fuel pump is not priming the fuel delivery system when you turn the key on.

• ?

The curious part is it runs until you shut it off. Although you don't report a Theft light, it sounds like the Passive Anti-Theft System (it appears to be Passkey 3... will have PK3 or a "circle +" stamped on the shaft if so) may be responsible. Passkey 3 systems will prevent the injectors from operating when you try to start the car but will allow them to operate if the car is running. I do not know whether there is a provision for shutting down the injectors if the engine is started with starting fluid.

This is rather speculative; so much so that you will probably be money ahead to have the dealer look at it. You have gone through two expensive and unnecessary repairs already; no point in adding a third one.

If you do an OBD2 and don't try to guess at it. Replacing a lot of good parts fixed your wallet, but not your car. Get to where the problem IS and work on that. OBD2 will narrow that down for you.

It's probably not getting fuel, or enough fuel. Is the fuel filter clogged? Did anybody bother to check this simple thing or replace it? It's a very quick and cheap job. If that's not it, check that you're getting a proper spray pattern from the throttle body injectors. They could be clogged up and just dripping instead of spraying. If that's not it there could be some debris in the tank blocking the screen. See if any fuel is flowing out of the tank and how much by removing one of the fuel lines.