Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 years ago

how to bring a stray cat inside? should i?

my boyfriend and i just moved into an apartment together and we have noticed a larger (what we assume to be male) cat wandering around the complex. so we decided to leave him a food and water bowl on our back porch. he now waits on us to come outside so we can pet him and feed him. when we go back inside he sits at our sliding glass door looking inside. we have grown attatched to him and with it being so cold outside we decided that we want to if possible bring him inside to live with us and our other two cats. we can pet him but cannot pick him up, approach his back end, or corner him in anyway. his ear appears to be "knotched" which leads me to believe that he has been fixed. however is this a good idea? how should i go about this? i live in OH is there a program to help vetting not be so expensive? (we want to get him tested for parasites and diseases) hes also long haired and we were wanting to get him shaved (hes extremely matted) with him being a stray is that something that vets do? thanks in advance

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

Cats do just fine in winter outdoors. He may even be happier that way. My parents have feral cats outside, though they treat them like pets. They even named them. They live in ND, and the cats are perfectly content to live outside.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

if you are thinking about bringing him inside I would highly suggest taking him to the vet and getting his shots first before doing anything, then give him a bath once you get home.

• Toebeans2 years agoReport

he should be let outside sometimes, he might miss it

• J C
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

No, you cannot just bring him inside. First, he may be someone's outdoor cat. And if you cannot pick him up, he may be feral. You are risking disease if you bring him indoors without getting him fully vetted. What if he is FeLV or FIV positive? He could be carrying the upper respiratory diseases, fleas, ticks, and parasites. He would need to go to a vet before you even considered bringing him indoors. Your best bet is to either leave him where he is, and provide food and a shelter for him (great ideas on may web sites with making a shelter out of a Rubbermaid container). You can trap him - shelters will loan you a trap - and take him to a shelter, with the instructions that you want him back if no one claims him. You would need to get him neutered if he is not, vaccinated, tested for FeLV and FIV, dewormed and flea treated - and microchipped. They will also be able to tell you if he is likely feral or not. There is much more to this than bringing him indoors as you put your own cats at risk. Many places provide low cost spay/neuter, and some shelters with vets on staff provide low cost basic services, but other than spay/neuter you are generally on your own when it comes to vet cost.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Sounds like a stupid idea. This cat will just fight with the cats you have and those cats will start getting territorial, piss all over the house, and the rest of that wonderful cat behavior.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

If you can't pick him up, much less get him into a crate to go to a vet or shelter for medical stuff, then your only choice is probably a live trap. I'd call local shelters and animal rescue groups to see what they can do.

He sounds like a feral cat, one who has never been a pet. The notch on the ear has nothing whatever to do with him being fixed, if he is, if it even is a he. I can't imagine why you'd think that. Vets don't mark cats to show they are fixed. The notch on the ear is probably the result of a cat fight.

Feral cats do not tame easily. They don't live fully indoors easily either, and the more cats you have the more chance there is that one of them won't be happy. If winter is coming, shaving him is the last thing you want to do unless he can be inside all the time until the fur grows back or spring comes.

• J C
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

Feral and stray cats that have been altered as part of a TNR program (trap/neuter/return) DO have their ears tipped, but notching is also common. It tells the trappers that the cat has already been altered so he is not trapped again.

• 2 years ago

Do NOT touch this cat and do NOT bring him inside! He could be Feline Leukemia and/or FIV positive and infect your other cats.

If you want to keep him take him to get him tested and up to date on shots, deflead and dewormed. Then chip him and keep him indoors.

Yes, most vets will shave a cat for a fee. But know that going forward you will have to comb this cat at LEAST once a week all year long so it doesn't end up matted. If you don't think you want to do that then take him to a no-kill shelter.

Also know that this cat sounds feral if it won't let you touch him. So VERY likely he will just end up fighting with your cats.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

There is no way I would bring a stray cat into my home near other pets until I was absolutely sure it had been vaccinated for all diseases ie. feline leukemia, rabies. I have seen an infected cat bite and it took two antibiotics to cure it. I know you are being nice to the animal but your other pets come first. I would have placed a cardboard box lined with a warm blanket for example outside for him or in my garage but not indoors until a vet had checked him. Good luck.

• 2 years ago

I have had friends take in stray cats successfully. If he is acting fine with you and other cats, then he can likely fit in, but you should definitely take him to the vet first for a checkup. If you can't afford that maybe call an animal shelter or vet school and see what your options are for treatment for him.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.