Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 3 years ago

What did think the prophet Jeremiah when he was in troubles?

Did he think he would go to die, executed robbed etc?

Update:

Why does God allow prophets and saved to be in so difficult situations?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Lesley
    Lv 6
    3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Jeremiah, who was only about 17 when God called him, had great inner turmoil over the fate of his people, and he begged them to listen. He is known as “the weeping prophet,” because he cried tears of sadness, not only because he knew what was about to happen, but because no matter how hard he tried, the people would not listen. Furthermore, he found no human comfort. God had forbidden him to marry or have children (Jeremiah 16:2), and his friends had turned their backs on him. So, along with the burden of the knowledge of impending judgment, he also must have felt very lonely.

Jeremiah’s constant loneliness and isolation finally got the best of him, and he became discouraged. He sank into a quagmire where many believers seem to get stuck when they think their efforts are not making a difference and time is ticking away. Jeremiah was emotionally spent, even to the point of doubting God (Jeremiah 15:18), but God was not done with him. Jeremiah 15:19 records a lesson for each believer to remember in those times when he feels alone, useless, and discouraged and whose faith is wavering: “Therefore this is what the LORD says: ‘If you repent, I will restore you that you may serve me; if you utter worthy, not worthless, words, you will be my spokesman. Let this people turn to you, but you must not turn to them.’” God was saying to Jeremiah, come back to Me, and I will restore to you the joy of your salvation. These are similar to the words penned by David when he repented of his sin with Bathsheba (Psalm 51:12).

Yes, Jeremiah must have feared for his life at times - he was only human, after all - but because God knows the beginning and the end, because God knows what is best for us, God allows these difficult situations so that our faith will grow as we learn to trust Him. These difficult situations are only temporary, although at the time they may seem relentless or unbearable. Yet all things work to the good of those who love God and obey Him.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.