How do I play guitar like Mateus Asato?

So, I have been teaching myself to play guitar for a few years, but it seems like I am going nowhere. I can learn pretty difficult songs if I watch videos on them, but have a lot of difficulty playing out of them. I know some scales and such, but when I watch my favorite guitarists, John Mayer, Mateus Asato, etc,... show more So, I have been teaching myself to play guitar for a few years, but it seems like I am going nowhere. I can learn pretty difficult songs if I watch videos on them, but have a lot of difficulty playing out of them. I know some scales and such, but when I watch my favorite guitarists, John Mayer, Mateus Asato, etc, they so effortlessly play whatever they want to play. They both switch between chords and melody, and I just wonder, are they actively thinking of notes and chord changes and things like that? If someone could give me some direction I’d be really appreciative because right now I’m looking at memorize all the notes on the fretboard and all the notes of different scales and trying to unlock the fretboard that way. I’m just not sure that’s right but Mateus especially seems to really be aware of what intervals he’s playing and such. I just feel like pentatonic boxes etc isn’t the way to that kind of mastery that I want. I’ll work hard at it, I just don’t know where to go :/
4 answers 4