I don't want to give my coworkers Christmas presents, do you give yours gifts?

I saved my pocket change all year to buy something I really like for myself, and I am going to get it this week no matter what. This involves me opting out of the Christmas festivities at work and I nicely told people that they should not feel the need to give me anything, we can just go out and do something nice... show more I saved my pocket change all year to buy something I really like for myself, and I am going to get it this week no matter what. This involves me opting out of the Christmas festivities at work and I nicely told people that they should not feel the need to give me anything, we can just go out and do something nice one day.

This is my first year of "having a real job" and I just don't want to force myself into peer pressure activities such as holiday office parties and gift giving. I've always lived by the notion that my free time is my free time and my money is my money. Why do many coworkers insist on giving each other gifts, even to people they barely know?