What DIY project can help in connecting to a WiFi service?

Very Soon I will be heading back to the country aka "the sticks", where my daughter concluded that if possibility of a zombie apocalypse it is a nice place to go and hide. My cabin is out of metal. We are still converting it to a one bedroom cabin with a loft over the kitchen and a storage loft over the... show more Very Soon I will be heading back to the country aka "the sticks", where my daughter concluded that if possibility of a zombie apocalypse it is a nice place to go and hide.
My cabin is out of metal. We are still converting it to a one bedroom cabin with a loft over the kitchen and a storage loft over the bedroom. we are surrounded by woods and at times can see deer out the window. We are considering renting after it is all done. However, I am not able to get a Wi-Fi service connection on my phone, unless on certain pots here and there. We do not have internet connection but we do have Dish but they cannot do internet. I have noticed (and tried asking without success) that a neighbor has wifi, How they are able to get it is not understood but is not willing to give a straight answer. Does anyone know anything about using some sort of router or the like to get a signal stronger without the use of modem? I only have a cell phone and no land line.