Would you tell your boss about an autoimmune disorder(s)?

I was recently diagnosed with 2 autoimmune disorders(Ankylosing Spondylitis and idiopathic hypersomnia) but haven't told my boss. My health really makes work difficult. I keep falling asleep from the hypersomnia(it's super similar to narcolepsy) and have trouble with anything physical because of the AS(a kind of arthritis). I know ADA prevents being fired for a disability but IH is frequently misunderstood and they could always find another cause. I'm expected to sit or stand for long periods of time which is really hard to do. Would you tell your boss if a disorder made your job harder?

• Favorite Answer

The ADA does not protect if you have not disclosed a disability you know about. You could be fired for being unable to do your job. On the other hand if you disclose your disability you can have accommodations put in place. If you fall asleep at work you will be awoken and not penalized. If there are things you cannot do that are not essential to the job, another person can do them. You might be able to do some of your work sitting rather than standing. You might be allowed to take breaks from sitting.''Disclosing protects you, keeping it secret does not.

• PAMELA

Of course you must tell them, if they do not know of your disabilty you will lose the job because you are not doing it properly.

I have Ankylosing Spondylitis as well. I get Remicade infusions every 8 weeks, if you haven't tried it, I strongly recommend it, I have zero symptoms with, no back pain, no hip pain,etc. The stuff works. My employer knows about it, and while I do my best to schedule the infusions when I'm not working, it rarely works out that way. So I generally just use a few hours of flex time when I need to go to an infusion ( I almost always have around 10-20 flex time hours banked at any given time), so it's not a big deal at all. Especially since I rarely take sick days or time off ( I've taken a total a four days off in 11 years on the job).

Hypersomnia is not an autoimmune disorder. However as Chiliswoman noted, if you don't disclose your disorders, then there's no plan for accomodations, and you aren't protected.

idiopathic hypersomnia is NOT an auto immune disorder...you don't even know what is causing it...it is a SYMPTOM.

ADA does NOT prevent you from being fired if you can't do the job with reasonable accommodations....and the fact is if you can't afford a lawyer-you have NO RIGHTS. EEOC is staffed by clowns.

in my case I had emails/certified mail receipts requesting a $5 reasonable accommodation from my employer..they fired me, claimed they knew nothing about it...and EEOC took their word over the evidence.

a lawyer would not even start the case without a $5000 deposit.

If excusing sleeping on the job is reasonable depends on the type of work and how often/long it lasts.

there are jobs that falling asleep at all cannot be tolerated (ie 911 dispatcher) and you can be fired. If it is happening 10x/day you could be fired from most jobs...

if it is just a few minutes a couple times a day, some jobs can accommodate that.

NOTE: there could be an autoimmune condition that causes hypersomnia...but the definition of idiopathic is that you don't know what causes it..so you can't know that it is due to an autoimmune condition