How do you help train a puppy not to bite?

What dog-training tips do you have that will help teach a dog not to bite, even when playing?

123 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

Dont make the very common mistake of attempting to use positive re-enforcement on a negative behavior.

A negative behavior is modified/ the dog adapts when met with a negative response. No, that does not equate to hitting/kicking/shock collars/choke chains/ or pinch collars.

It does mean consistently responding with a negative response using vocal and body language. (PS, a negative vocal response DOES NOT MEAN screaming and losing one's composer. "Leaders" dont lose their composer... they just address each issue as it comes.)

Team Pit-a-Full Dog Training & Rehabilitation

Denver, CO

Since 1990

• 1 year ago

Okay, puppies are reeeeally dumb, and they are just now starting out in the world so they are completely clueless! I feel that they can only learn buy example and repetition, so when a puppy bites you, don;t hod back ( as in being stoic and showing no emotion, but DO hold back from raining fire and fury down on them), when the puppy bites you say OW_$H1T! then withdraw. Don't play with them for a while (basically until your bite stops hurting) then play GENTLY! Okay, here's where the Jesus part kicks in: bite them very gently, as gently as YOU would want to be bitten by a playing dog, and normal dogs will learn by example! Eventually your puppy will only kind of gum your hands softly. Six to ten weeks of gentle play with your puppy (go ahead and bite them, but not in a retribution sense, As an EXAMPLE of what you want) may yield a dog with a very cautious/gentle set of jaws.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Distraction.

Once he bites, slap a roll of newspaper behind him. It's the loud sound that should distract him. If he gets disturbed every time he bites, he'll soon realize he shouldn't. Offer him a doggie toy too to bite and play with.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Need to scratch

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

I corrected his attitude, taking his ears and rubbing them, with a high tone, I stare at him and say "No, enough". immediately shows a passive attitude.

Atte Pamela Carrasco

• 2 years ago

Simply pull [the item] away from the puppy and sternly say "LEAVE IT!"

Enough-repetition of this technique will teach the pup what that phrase means.

Source(s): PetSmart training course with my Great Dane (puppy.)
  • it is teething and biting what ever helps. find chew toys for it.

• 2 years ago

Take security precautions if your puppy bites. If you're starting a training programme with the help of a qualified teacher, consider muzzling your puppy with a scuttle muzzle. Your puppy will quickly learn to stop ruining or biting with the help of the muzzle, but muzzling is not recommended if you don't have a clear ...

• 2 years agoReport

electric collar

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

I hired someone to help me with that.

• 2 years ago

Just google, 'stop puppy biting'. Site after site on how to stop puppy biting.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.