How does adding grated "orange peel" to food make it taste better or not? how unusual and costly?

have been looking at some recipes online for Chinese food...and noticed their "black bean sauce' is highly regarded...and noticed it has 'orange rind" or peel? inside it...and then noticed this is also used in indian food....but the cost is expensive? how unusual? CAN YOU MAKE YOUR OWN IF BUY... show more have been looking at some recipes online for Chinese food...and noticed their "black bean sauce' is highly regarded...and noticed it has 'orange rind" or peel? inside it...and then noticed this is also used in indian food....but the cost is expensive? how unusual? CAN YOU MAKE YOUR OWN IF BUY ORANGES? IS BETTER?
Update: I AM MOSTLY A VEGETARIAN TOO...SO WHAT THINGS I COULD ADD IT TO TO MAKE IT TASTE BETTER?

IS THIS HOW 'ORANGE CHICKEN" BTW, IS MADE?
Update 2: what if I just put a whole orange OR a tangerine? clementine even? in a food processor and just blended the whole thing up into a puree and dug out the seeds and put that in with the chicken or vegetables or whatever I am cooking? white skin would ruin the flavor?