Is it ok for a baby to drift off to sleep on a pillow?

Hi guys, Our son is 13 days old today, he feeds and sleeps great during the day but tends to go through a wide awake stage from 9pm-Midnight. Last night, I put him on a pillow and held him in my arms making sure he could breathe and that his body/neck was well supported and he drifted straight off to sleep inside... show more Hi guys,

Our son is 13 days old today, he feeds and sleeps great during the day but tends to go through a wide awake stage from 9pm-Midnight. Last night, I put him on a pillow and held him in my arms making sure he could breathe and that his body/neck was well supported and he drifted straight off to sleep inside 10 minutes and I was able to put him straight into his moses basket and we got 4 hours sleep. I know never to let a new born sleep for prolonged periods (night/day naps) on anything other than his moses basket mattress but is it ok for him to drift off to sleep on a pillow under close supervision to then transfer him to his moses basket?

My partner and myself feel he is too young at the moment to try and establish a bed time routine but we do aim to do this in the next few months and I know that babies get used to falling asleep in certain ways (being constantly rocked to sleep etc) but will it cause him any harm lying on a pillow for 20/30mins at night to get him to sleep?

We have also discussed waking him up before 9pm to try and prevent the hyper period and it is recommended by child sleep experts that it isn t a sin to wake a sleeping baby in order to prevent this hyper period but just wondering what you thought worked best for you if any of you have had any experience of it?

Thanks
Curtis