As an American taxpayer who owes at least $170,000 due to government debt, are you happy with the things that money bought for you?

American taxpayers each owe an average of at least $170,000 if we divide the FEDERAL public debt by the number of actual taxpayers (or at least $65,000 if we divide by ALL citizens). Are you as a taxpayer happy about how that money was spent? Or would you rather have received the money in your bank account to spend (or save) as you please?

http://www.theusdebtclock.com/

https://hanke.io/debtclock/us/

Favorite Answer

I'm not illiterate.

I understand a government needs money to operate.

I understand no government means anarchy.

Am I happy to pay taxes? YES. Successful people pay taxes.

Do I wish it was less? Yes, I think I'm taxed too high

Do I agree with how the government spends every penny? No, and there will never be a time that everyone is pleased.

Heck, I can't even understand why my neighbors vote for tax increases.

• tro

if you are claiming that each taxpayer's share of the national debt is $170K then, no I am definitely not happy with how my money has been spent, or more to the point, wasted

there is so much waste in Washington it is a real crime and to lay all this on a hard working taxpayer is sheer stealing

there are lots of people who work but have so many 'benie's' that they don't pay any taxes(in fact get refunds they were not entitled to) and they are not sharing that $170K bill on the national debt

They haven't sent me a bill yet.

• Jackboot
      2 years agoReport

No need! If your income is taxable, they just TAKE the money out of each check, or will expect YOU to tally (or have tallied, professionally) what you owe, and then just pay up. But I’m sure you knew.

Nice try, but you don't actually owe it until you get a demand notice for it.

If the government hadn't spent that money and I had received it in a bank account, then I wouldn't have it to spend or save. If the government hadn't spent money, then there would no police, no SEC, etc., and all the money in my bank account, and every other one, would have been stolen.

Because the government spent money, I have some money in my bank account -- and that's more than I would have if the government hadn't spent money: nothing.

I don’t have to be happy with everything my taxes are spent on to see value in paying taxes. I might not love seeing money leave my paycheck every two weeks, but you know what I do love? Knowing that we have infrastructure to support our population. I like having roads, and schools, and a fire department, and police. I like having public radio, disease control, food safety, and public sewage. And, even though I don’t agree on how we distribute our tax money every year, I do see value in the infrastructure that a lot of people seem to take for granted.

As much as I like having my own money, I’m not really sure how having that money replaces any of the items listed above. What I pay in taxes would NEVER cover private school tuition, or be enough to hire out my own private body guard to replace police. When I pay taxes, that money gets pooled with everyone else’s. Taxes require you to give a little and get a lot more.

This tax cut for the rich and corporations will increase the debt. So I'm against this adding to the debt, yes.

I want a refund