Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 years ago

Do all prop management co. use licensed contractors?

If not, then would I be responsible if something happens while their handyman is doing work as the property owner? I asked the prop manager & she has yet to return my call or get back to me in email. I covered all this when I hired her, but next year I will be getting rid of her because she is useless & only taking my money. The only benefit is I don't have to deal with the tenants that's even more of a pain.

Do any prop management companies do anything other than take owner's money. I don't live near the property & they all sound good until you hire them. How in the world can I find a good one?

Favorite Answer

If you hire them to do the job, then they can hire whoever they want to, licensed or not. If a handyman is injured while performing the work, you would not be liable. Your insurance company might be - it would depend on your policy and whether the handyman was negligent or whether you were negligent in placing him in a dangerous situation. Your insurance company would decide. If they refused to cover him, you might not be personally responsible. Before forking out money, consult with a lawyer. It would also be a good idea to check court records to see if the handyman has sued a number people in similar situations. Some people make a living off scr*wing other people.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • tro

of course not

It depends on what the repair is.

If you want someone to do plumbing or electricity = you need someone licensed.

If you have a wood fence with a broken broken latch on the gate = you aren't going to hire a licensed contract, in my area, they are so busy you wouldn't even be able to get one out to the property because the job is too small.

If you are going to put in a new wood fence = you would use a licensed contractor.

It depends on your contract with the property management company. Most reputable property management companies require any subcontractor to hold their own liability insurance before they allow them to work on the property. And if using their own handyman, the property management company has liability insurance on them too, separate from the titled owner. But this should be spelled out in the contract too as a requirement.

Finding a good property management company is like finding a good source of anything, By asking around or by taking the time to interview several demanding references from each one and actually checking on them. Property management companies work in different capacities too, so you can't compare all companies the same. Some only maintain the property, some only maintain the outside of the property, while others maintain everything in addition to marketing and leasing the property, book keeping, and regular reports to the owner all in an effort to keep it at its fullest function as an investment.

• LILL

Good property managers..manage the property completely. This includes dealing with tenant issues, collecting rent, hiring of licensed repairmen, legal issues, drafting of leases and bookkeeping.