Is my gold chain fake?

I purchased an 18k gold chain in Qatar at a gold and jewelry store. When I went back to the U.S I took it to a pawn shop to confirm that it was real. They tested it by rubbing it on a block and then putting acid on it. The gold turned green and they said it looked real to him, but because of the acid test he couldn't make an offer on it and didn't want it. Immediately after, I went to a jewelry store to have them test It. This time, the made a small cut in the chain and tested it with acid that way. The jewler said it was real and made a cash offer on it. I trust the jewler but I still have a cloud of doubt in my mind because I saw the acid test at the pawn shop and that the gold turned green which he said meant the gold was fake. Who Is right?

Also, the pawn shop wasn't trying to pull something on me or get it for free. They made no offer and told me they did not want it or could not take it.

Favorite Answer

Who do you think knows what they're talking about. A jeweller or a guy ina pawn shop.

• m

Gold turning green?

• The chain may have been gold plated only.

• kelvin

the were ripping you off

• bob f

18K gold is only 75% pure gold. Thus there is 25% alloy (probably copper). This is what the acid test showed.