All of these are facts...
1. EA released Star Wars Battlefront II as an apology game for Battlefront I promising a single player campaign and free DLC.
2. EA delivered on the campaign, which was arguably mediocre and unfinished. As far as free DLC goes, we will see what happens.
3. EA shoved microtransactions into their game through the form of “Pay-to-Win” loot boxes. The randomness of these boxes are unclear, which led Belgium to do an investigation on whether this is considered gambling. Hawaii, Australia and pretty much all of Europe jumped on board. Gamers were outraged, and gaming media got involved, which led to an initial 3% decrease in EA’s stock value.
4. Disney was furious. They called EA and EA pulled the microtransactions from the game before it’s official launch to “make changes to the design”. Now it takes a long grind to unlock any heroes. Unfortunately, the way the game designed was to be fundamentally broken. Heroes and those willing to spend money on lootboxes (if they get lucky that is) will have a huge advantage in battle. The game is not balanced at all.
5. Afterward, EA launched an AMA (ask me anything) on reddit. The statement that made it the most downvoted reddit post in history (680k or more) was something along the lines of “Our choice was made to give the players a sense of pride and accomplishment” which was their argument for why everything took so long to unlock. They ignored the #1 upvoted question as well.
6. EA went quiet for a week or so. Can’t have all the negative attention, can we?
7. EA then lost 3.1 billion dollars in stock value and Star Wars Battlefront II went on to become the second lowest rated game of all time on Metacritic, the lowest being Ghostbusters.
8. Not being able to shut up like they normally do and let things blow over, they called out the players saying something along the lines of “Canon is important! We were trying to keep everything realistic! We didn’t want a pink Darth Vader in our game because it ruins realism! That’s why the loot boxes were designed like this!”
9. Gamers started digging and found out that they were hiding a custom skin option for heroes. Pink Darth Vader was apparently their next move.
10. Gamers have made a petition trying to reach 150k signatures for LucasArts to pull Star Wars exlusivity from EA’s hands, and give it to other more trustworthy developers. Currently around 85k.
Now at this point it’s just a rumor but...
11. EA never intended to change the lootboxes, just remove them temporarily and they plan on adding them back soon just the way they were. We will see.
That pretty much explains why every gamer on the internet is running around saying “F EA” and I can’t blame them.
I highly suggest watching YongYea, Downward Thrust and/or Jim Sterling for more information and to keep up to date on the bs the gaming industry tries to get away with.