Mike
Mike asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 3 years ago

What is the answer to Thomas Sowell's question on global warming?

“Would you bet your paycheck on the weather forecast for tomorrow? If not, then why should this country bet billions on global warming predictions that have even less foundation?”

• JimZ
    Favorite Answer

I've read three books (at least) from Thomas Sowell and I have read his articles quite a bit so I know him better than most. He doesn't talk much about global warming. His book on Black Rednecks and White Liberals was brilliant and interesting. It was largely about history of the slave owners and their legacy. Sowell is a black American and the book was an exploration of some his ancestry. Interestingly he argued that much of the "black" culture in the US isn't from Africa but is from the "redneck" culture now deceased in Scotland. https://www.encounterbooks.com/books/black-redneck...

Sowell is a professor of Economics. He is plain spoken but it would be a mistake to underestimate his intelligence. He is a political conservative and he wouldn't claim to be an expert on the science of global warming but I think he correctly spots a political scam when he sees one. Sowell is correct except I would say that we shouldn't bet "trillions" on global warming predictions.

It means the Climate models were 100% wrong

Proven fact the Global Warming computer models are all Garbage in, Garbage out and completely worthless.

Study the Sun and its cycles, this is where the action is.

If the weather forecast were as simple as, "it will be warmer", I WOULD bet. And win. For that matter, I could do an accurate forecast myself.

"Would you bet your paycheck on the weather forecast for tomorrow?"

His pay check against mine?

I would be happy to take his money, not only does the fool not know the difference between climate and weather, short range weather forecasts are 95% accurate. And the fossil fuel industry pays people like him US$6000 just to write opinions in news papers.

How much do they pay you Mike?

Sowell's claim is nonsense. Just because weather is complex doesn't mean that humans have no effect. And the laws of thermodynamics prove that adding greenhouse gases to the atmosphere causes warming.

Senility.

Thomas Sowell is an intellectually challenged individual that has yet to learn the difference between a weather forecast and a trend line in the global climate. His question is not a real question since the bet is on two different things. Only the perpetually stupid would see this question as being realistic.

• a2yar

weather is not climate

Sowell is a fool. Why would his opinion be worth more than the people who have studied the problem?

An assshole's opinion does not outweigh the evidence of a scientist