When doing typing practice to increase typing speed and accuracy, should your fingers always remain on home row?

When I type normally, my fingers are not always returning to home row in-between each letter- they may be on a top row key or a bottom row key. Is the idea to always return to home row?

Sometimes when typing a word using a particular key, my other fingers move to be able to access that key - is the idea to keep the rest of my fingers from moving?

When I'm typing I am able to get up to 80 WPM, though I use the back space a lot, and I'm trying to minimize that.

Favorite Answer

Yes, your fingers should always return to the home row. This way, your fingers will be closer to any key. But if you leave your fingers, for instance, on the top row (such as the "r" or "p"), it will take longer to reach keys on the bottom row (such as "n" or "c").

Move slowly at first until your fingers "know" where each key is located, repeating a single key (or several unrelated keys - a key for 2 or 3 different fingers) MANY times, until it becomes "muscle" memory, then move on to other keys.

Typing is a lost art, just like handwriting, but it's worth the effort to learn.

Good luck.

• no1home2day
      2 years agoReport

Yes, it's worth it. I work with a place in which I have to enter information from an application to the form on the screen. It is SO much easier to be able to type without looking at my fingers, just looking at the application form.