Subwoofer polarity issue ?

Today i build subwoofer box and at the moment when i was connecting negative and positive wire on sub terminal i did not noticed that am i connecting correct . Now red wire is in positive terminal of amp and black one is in negative . I don't want to pull out sub from box as it will consume time and maybe fitting will not remain that tight . So is there any way to confirm that subwoofer is connected right or opposite ?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • KaeZoo
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

You can test this with a AA battery. Tape wires to the terminals and briefly connect the positive battery terminal to the positive terminal on the sub box, and the negative battery terminal to the negative box terminal. Watch the subwoofer. If it moves outward, the subwoofer connections are correct; if it pulls in, the connections are reversed.

You don't have to pull the sub out to correct it. Just reverse the connections at the box or amp to compensate.

As others have said, having the sub wired in the wrong polarity usually doesn't hurt anything. Some amps and head units have a switch to let you change the subwoofer polarity so you can set it the way that sounds best, and usually it's hard to hear a difference. It certainly won't damage the sub in any way.

• don r
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

For a sub it doesn't make that much difference. You can reverse the wires and see if you notice any difference. If it's out of phase with the rest of your speakers there can be some wave cancellation. The only way is the right way, and that involves looking at how the wires go to the speaker itself. You might just settle to have it the way it sounds best as you listen to it.

• 2 years ago

If you only have one subwoofer with one voice coil, the polarity doesn't really matter. The polarity only matters if you have two woofers (or two voice coils on the same woofer). The polarities must be the same on both speakers (or voice coils) to maximize the bass output. In short, both speakers (or voice coils) should be connected the same for maximum bass. BTW, you can connect the positive output of the amp to the negative terminal of the speaker (or voice coil) and you will be OK as long as you connect the other speaker (or voice coil) the same way. Connecting the speakers out of phase will lower your bass output and sound output since they will tend to cancel each other out. BTW, amplifier clipping usually blows up speakers. Clipping shoots straight DC voltage into voice coil and will melt it. Connecting speakers out of phase usually just reduces your sound quality.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Well, Dufus, you CAN just plug it in and let it rip and see what happens, but if you're WRONG, you run the risk of blowing up your speaker. Better to spend a bit of time to be certain rather than having to replace everything and start over.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.