How to say 'I cant wait until Christmas' in French.?

I was thinking,

Je ne peux pas attendre jusqu'à Noël

If you have any other good christmassy phrases that would also be great. For example, 'Snowy town', 'the countdown begins', 'winter wonderland', 'Father Christmas will be getting his sleigh ready'. Anything like that.

I have just moved to France and been learning for a month.

Or, 'Looks like it might be a white christmas this year'

• Tangi
    Favorite Answer

When you use "I can't wait" in English to mean "I'm looking forward", you don't translate it to "je ne peux pas attendre". It literally means "I can't wait" as in "I may or may not be looking forward, this is irrelevant, what is relevant is that I must not wait for some reason".

For the "I'm looking forward" meaning, it's "j'ai hâte".

I can't wait for Christmas = J'ai hâte que ce soit Noël / J'ai hâte d'être à Noël / J'attends Noël avec impatience

A snowy city/village = Une ville enneigée / Un village enneigé

The countdwon begins = le compte à rebours commence

Father Christmas will be getting his sleigh ready = Le père Noël va préparer son traineau

Looks like it might be a white christmas this year = On dirait qu'il va neiger à Noël cette année (I'm not sure what "white Christmas" is supposed to be but I think it's supposed to be a snowy Christmas).

• John P

Just remember that, if you truly analyse "I can't wait until...." it is nonsensical, since you will have no option but to wait until the named date.

Let us hope that a native speaker of French sees your question and can provide a suitable expression in French which expresses your excitement at the thought of Christmas arriving fairly soon.

it is:

Je ne peux pas attendre jusqu'à Noël

• jj
      3 years agoReport

That's a literal translation from Google Translate. "I can't wait" does not translate well so "Il me tarde que ce soit Noël." is a better translation.

You are right

I can add j'ai (bien) hâte d'être (déjà) à Noël (que ce soit Noël)

Il me tarde d'être à Noël is another way

Or simply vivement Noël

Etcetera

Oh regarde, on dirait qu'on aura un Noël blanc cette année

Here are some songs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bJflpfWkyBU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cYbWOEAApuQcYbWOEAAp...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6u9nAn_ULOQ

We have many ways to say that, for example:

_ Il me tarde Noël.

_ Il me tarde que ce soit Noël.

_ Je suis impatient d'être à Noël. ( in feminine: impatiente)

_ Je suis impatient(e) que ce soit Noël.

_ J'ai hâte d'être à Noël.

_ J'ai hâte que ce soit Noël.....

_ ' Snowy town ' , you could say: '' Quel beau Noël dans la ville enneigée '' / What a beautiful Christams in the snowy town ''

_ ' The countdown begins ' → You could say: Le conte à rebours commence, avant le Nouvel an / countdown begins, before the new year ( countdown is rather used for the New Year eve, you know before to be the next year).

_ ' Winter wonderland'→ you could say about Christmas: '' Ah Noël, c'est le paradis en hiver ! ''.

_ ' Father Christmas will be getting his sleigh ready '→ you could say ( and it means): '' Le Père Noël va préparer son traîneau ! ''

_ About your update ( Looks like it might be a white Christmas this year ). As a native French person, I would say:

'' On dirait qu'on va avoir un Noël blanc cette année '' ( understand with ' Noël blanc ' : it could snow).

• Jennifer3 years agoReport

I am not sure why you got so many thumbs down :/

The easiest way is not to look forward to Christmas and then there is no need to say it.

• Tangi
      3 years agoReport

That's a method I often use when I don't know how to say something in English. I wonder "do I really need to say it?" and most of the time, the answer is no.