Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 3 years ago

Any tips on reducing anxiety?

I am completely aware this sounds un-realistic but anyways I'm15, I got told I had severe social anxiety almost 2 years ago, I had to leave school when I was 13 because my anxiety got really bad, I now have tablets to reduce the sickness but I haven't actually been out of the house in 2 years my dad gets all my shopping my doctors come to me my school tutor comes to me its pretty bad, a few months ago I got to an al time low and started thinking about suicide, but I know that's not want I want to do, ive had counselling and therapy at home but neither worked, the reason I have anxiety is from being abused since I was 5 by my step mum (someone I cant exactly run from) Anyway I just wondered if anyone knows anything that would help me keep calm or reduce some symptoms?

Please don't tell me i'm lying, ive heard it all before about how I'm after attention and all that **** Its really not the case I need and want help so any hate WILL be reported!! Thanks

I don't live with my abuser at the moment

Favorite Answer

I've written a lot of mental health answers, on a variety of topics. I often suggest that people here click on my name and read my answers, because I have advice from experts dealing with a number of problems, information on standard and lesser-known treatments.

Your question brings to mind two approaches that are kind of old. In fact, one is extremely old, dating back to ancient times. In recent years, psychology has studied traditional Asian practices like yoga breathing, tai chi exercise, and mindfulness. There have been some very impressive results with these, referred to with the the term mind-body therapy. For example, Time magazine had a cover story, The Mindful Revolution.

One of the videos below is a talk by a therapist about her work at Stanford University, helping traumatized combat veterans who haven't been helped by other treatments. She uses slow breathing. She mentions a simple exercise called square breathing - breathing to a count of 4, in to 4, hold to 4, out to 4, hold to 4, etc. It's not necessary to breathe deeply. She mentions an advantage to slower exhale, and you might count to 7 for exhale.

Slow breathing is useful for dealing with agoraphobia and other phobias. You can calm yourself down and imagine a feared situation, to associate it with being calm.

If you have an anxiety disorder, rushing around when you don't have to and doing things hastily is bad for your nerves and makes for mistakes and accidents. Careful is like mindful.

This answer mentions a study that found mindfulness training to be as good for social anxiety as CBT. It also tells you about a variety of healthy lifestyle things, such as mind-body therapy.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20170...

A respected self-help organization, Recovery International, is sometimes called the original CBT. It has books and meetings, local and online. It's especially good at motivating people who are afraid to leave the house and do things outdoors. The news report below has contact information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvli7NBUfY4

Youtube thumbnail

&t=151s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhyq0tXtg5A

Youtube thumbnail

&t=68s

Well, instead of depending on drugs and magic fixes, why don't you go out and take a walk. Go out into the world. Why would you want to be stuck with the person who abused you, drugged up and missing out on the simplest pleasures. There' s no magic way to change.