UK - How did people manage in the olden days when shops closed on Sunday and closed early during the rest of the week?

I find it shocking that many people want to bring this back! Its when you read items such as this you can see how lucky we are that our history has lead us to be a secular country, the Bishops are still in the Lords with their sticky fingers on our law making and a lot of newcomers still stuck in the medieval era... show more I find it shocking that many people want to bring this back! Its when you read items such as this you can see how lucky we are that our history has lead us to be a secular country, the Bishops are still in the Lords with their sticky fingers on our law making and a lot of newcomers still stuck in the medieval era are slowing down the advance of evolution but they now cannot stop us, the march onwards to a true secular society is now to advanced to stop so shop closures will NEVER happen again.

I love shopping, I can't imagine a Sunday without it. Sunday is my shopping day.

I love the 24 hour society! I love to go out buy booze and snacks at 11 pm, I could never image how boring it must have been to have shops shut early on a weekday

How could people in olden times just stay at home all Sunday except for Church and have Sunday dinner?

As an atheist I never go Church so I need to go shopping on Sunday.