Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 3 years ago

How likely am I to get TSS by constantly leaving tampons in?

I always accidentally leave my tampons in too long. my last period i left one in for 12 hours then another for 18 hours overnight. I usually leave them for 10-24 hours because i always forget. I’ve been doing this for about my last 3 periods but nothing’s ever happened so it never bothered me. Does this make me more likely to get tss or increase my chances in any way?

• Kasha
    Favorite Answer

Of course this increases your risk of TSS, as well as vaginal infections.

*** Tampons needs to be changed every 4-6 hours ***

Tampons give bacteria the perfect place to multiply - warm, moist, oxygenated, and filled with blood - while at the same time plugging the vagina so it can't flush out bacteria and holding blood in the vagina which impacts on pH so it's easier for harmful bacteria to thrive. The longer tampons are left the longer bacteria multiply, and do so exponentially.

Tampons don't just absorb blood but also discharge, thus they dry-out mucus membranes causing small tears and ulceration in the vaginal walls that allow Streptococcus pyogenes or Staphylococcus aureus bacteria as well as TSST-1 toxins responsible for TSS into your blood stream. If you can go over 4-6 hours without leaking you're wearing too high an absorbency so more damage done, if you can go as long as 12 or even up to 24 hours then you shouldn't even be using tampons.

What you're doing is really unhygienic, it's a miracle you've not gotten a severe infection or TSS.

TSS is rare and reliable statistics are hard to come by but the worlds leading experts believe TSS to occur in as many as 1 in 700 women, to varying degrees and through different means. So fa you've been lucky, you may not have had these bacteria present, they may not have been producing TSST-1, or you may have immunity...but continue to misuse tampons and your luck won't last forever, if present and allowed to multiply to unsafe levels those bacteria will risk TSS.

If you can't remember to change tampons or can't follow basic instructions for hygiene then don't use tampons, stick with pads or other safer options like menstrual cups - but even then there's simply no excuse for 'forgetting' for 24 hours!

Precautions with tampon use:

- Change every 4-6 hours.

- Always use lowest absorbency.

- Alternate with pads often.

- Avoid rayon brands.

- Opt for cotton brands.

- Don't use when not menstruating.

- Don't use with light flow/spotting.

- Don't use overnight while sleeping.

- Don't use with vaginal infections.

- Wash hands before using tampons.

- Store tampons in a clean dry place.

- Learn about TSS and other risks.

How do you forget you have a tampon in?? Because you keep forgetting over and over, it's probably very likely.

The longer you leave a tampon in, the higher the risk of getting toxic shock syndrome.

TSS is actually pretty rare, but you still need to be very careful. Set a timer if you have to. I personally leave a box of tampons on my bathroom counter. The reason I do this is so I can be reminded to change a tampon.

• Edna

It's been proven that your chances of developing TSS from a tampon are virtually nil - no matter how long you leave one inside. Most grown women who wear tampons leave them in overnight, and they don't give it a thought and they don't worry about TSS. Just about the worse thing that might happen if you leave a tampon inside for 12 hours straight is that you might begin to stink.

TSS is Toxic Shock Syndrome. If order to develop it, most often you have to have an open wound (usually surgical) that is exposed to some sort of infection. Most cases of TSS are observed in hospitalized patients who have undergone surgery. It's a type of staph infection.

At one time in the early 1970's, a number of women began developing TSS and it was thought that tampons were to blame. After much research, it was found that the threat of TSS didn't come from the tampon itself. The threat came from a chemical that a particular manufacturer was adding to the cotton fibers in tampons, in order to make them more absorbent. The use of that chemical was banned, and that particular brand of tampons was removed from the shelves and is no longer manufactured or sold.

I used tampons regularly for over 35 years, and I never gave TSS a thought.

Source(s): Yrs. of experience
    • Edna
      3 years agoReport

Jay, the cause WAS caused by chemicals that one manufacturer was adding to the fibers in his brand of tampons. These chemicals were banned; that type of tampon was removed from the shelves, & it is no longer manufactured or sold. I was over 30 yrs. old then & was no stranger to tampons - were you?

Yes it's highly likely you may get toxic shock syndrome

• Laura

This is dangerous.

Set a timer for 8 hours when you change your tampon before you leave the bathroom so you remember to change your tampon.

I usually don't change my tampon until its full, so I usually go about 6 - 8 hours before changing my tampon.

Leaving a tampon in longer than that can cause medical issues.

If you do not think that you can change about this, you should switch to wearing pads.

It does make you more likely to get TSS because of the growth of bacteria in that time, but TSS is still very rare, so you still have a low chance of getting it, just be careful and try setting alarms or reminders on your phone to change your tampon if its still a problem

TSS is caused by staph bacteria (that we have all over our bodies) getting systemic (getting into our bodily systems and possibly even bloodstream.

Tampons give staph bacteria an optimal breeding ground because it's warm, moist, and internal. The risk of infection increases under these circumstances. Just because one leaves a tampon in longer than recommended doesn't mean they will get TSS, but one doesn't necessarily get strep throat or scarlet fever from being exposed to the strep bacteria, either. It's all about the conditions being right.

Wearing a tampon longer than recommended increases your risks. You can drive fast and reckless for years and never get into an accident. That doesn't mean you won't. TSS is often lethal because once bacteria goes systemic, it acts quickly and it hard to treat. So really, is it worth the risk? I'd rather change my tampon regularly than risk death, even if the chances are small.

Yes, leaving your tampons in that long is just STUPID. Change them at least every six hours, even if your flow isn't that heavy. While tss is rare, it can still happen.