Are Jerusalem Crickets(Potato Bugs) harmful?

I seen them in my backyard. Are they harmful and what's the worst they can do to people?.

Favorite Answer

Jerusalem crickets (potato bugs) are quite harmless. if mishandled thy can give a rather painful pinch.

If skin is broken, just a matter of washing the injury with soap and water. They are not poisonous or venomous.

They are somewhat a beneficial insect, they feed mainly on roots and weed vegetation in lawnscape and gardens.

I bred a small family of them in a big planter box, sort of my pets if you will, and some few do keep them for pets.

They re nocturnal and a subterranean sort so not a very visible animal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7homz6DMMpk

Youtube thumbnail

As far as I have been able to prove, no.

They are certainly harmless to humans, except that the big ones can pinch hard and, in some cases, break the skin a little.

I tried growing various vegetables in a transparent tank, to see what they would eat. they did eat some roots. But contrary to their name, they didn't eat enough potato roots to be noticeable, if at all. They also eat bugs, so they will help get rid of pests. I have never seen enough of them to be a problem, just a few. They also burrow and poop in the soil, like earthworms, so they provide aeration of the soil and some fertilizer too. Over all, I say they are beneficial.

No they are only harmful to patato and crops they have no effects to humans you should not fear them unless you are a fruit crop or vegetable