Car detailer made a lot of swirl marks on my car's paint?

I had my car detailed at this place that i always go, and lately i've noticed that in the sun from certain angle i can see swirl marks all over my car. I usually tell them to do a buffer wax. Some of my friend told me that this is normal, and you can't avoid this while getting car waxed,but it's just hard to believe it though.

So i just wanna ask you guys who know about cars, is this normal? I don't use any brush or contact car wash, when my car is dirty i run it through touchless carwash.

Favorite Answer

Your car had those swirls on it even when it was brand new from the factory. You just failed to notice. The place that detailed it didn't cause them. You only noticed them because after you picked your car up, you examined it more closely. Go to any new car lot on a sunny day and examine the paint on the brand new cars. You will see the same swirls wherever the sun hits the paint so that it glares.

The materials auto detailers use to buff cars, the wax and the buffer, are specifically designed to be made of materials much softer than your car's clear coat. They can't scratch. Those swirls are from when the clear coat was originally applied at the factory and the factory used its swirling buffers while the clear coat was still fresh to smooth it out. It's impossible to have a car that doesn't have those swirls because it is intrinsic to how paint is applied in coats and buffed between coats and then applied with clear coat and buffed between coats of clear coat.

Same thing happened to me on a black car . . . . . . they tried to re-do the job a couple times but the paint was ruined - had car repainted and sold it - was never right after that. Problems more common back when we had conventional finishes, ie the buffer was abrading the color coat and an inexperienced worker might apply to much pressure in an attempt to "buff out" dirt or imperfections. Not as big a problem with clearcoat finishes - we're just polishing/glazing the clearcoat with non-wax products that don't require much pressure.

Thats what you get with a buffer, if you do it by hand, you wont have those swirl marks.

Hi it is removed by doing polishing when the sun has gone down in the evening. so the wax is not baked into the paintwork it may take several months of polishing but not in the mid day heat.

I've never has swirl marks. I've been buffing my vehicles for 30 years.

Job poorly done, they are not using microfiber cloths but terry towls which leave swirl marks