Fiance wants to retire in the Philippines?

We are from California, he's in the Army and he has told me a few times that he wants to retire in the Philippines. I have never even been out of the country and I'm honestly scared to end up somewhere that is so different from everything I've ever known. He thinks the US is boring and he says the US... show more We are from California, he's in the Army and he has told me a few times that he wants to retire in the Philippines. I have never even been out of the country and I'm honestly scared to end up somewhere that is so different from everything I've ever known. He thinks the US is boring and he says the US dollar is worth like five times more there. Obviously retirement is many years away but he seems very set on this idea.

Is this a stupid idea or is it something to embrace? I honestly don't feel very comfortable with it.