If I (legally) bought the Mona Lisa, would anyone be able to stop me from eating it?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

Actually copyright laws protect an artist's "Right of Integrity" per the Artists Visual Rights Act of 1990 making it illegal to distort, mutilate, or alter an artist's work. The law is fairly new in the US but has been enforced in Europe for a long time.

• Noah12 months agoReport

No, but I would suggest not eating it. Now hear me out. Eat a cat. You may be thinking, “but what about all that power the Mona Lisa would give me?” Cats have an unlimited amount of evil power which you can combine together to steal and eat the Mona Lisa eventually or even create your own.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

Yes in the interest of Public Safety and your safety yes. Also they could start a litigation lawsuit against you and claim some sort of garbage to stop you from destroying it. But if you are the real owner of it then you should be protected to eat it as much as you want.

☆ Sent from iOS Dr. Know! 1.1.02

• Bob B
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Yes, actually.

In many countries, historical items or artefacts are legally protected in various ways. Most countries also have some variant of eminent domain, meaning that the government can seize private property for public use, provided they pay you "just compensation" for doing so.

• 2 years ago

why would you eat something that would cost you to buy $800,000,000 at least, would make it a very expensive meal

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

Considering one of daVinci's lesser paintings just sold for over $450 million, even if it did come on the auction block, you couldn't afford it.

• 2 years ago

You can continue with your ways.

• 2 years ago

Fine art is a tax shelter scam... Go ahead and eat it.. Its just a painting...

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Sure. Anyone could. Someone could walk up and shoot you in the head before you got a chance to take your first bite. The fact that you bought it legally wouldn't prevent anybody from using illegal means to stop you.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

I don't think you would want to spend that much money to eat it.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

No. Unless otherwise stated. And don't think it will ever be up for sale.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.