Advice on what to feed my cat?

Obviously cat food of course but she is an 11 year old cat that lost a lot of weight. I think it might be her teeth but they can't put her under to do the dental because she has a heart murmur.

She has been seen by a vet who said her weight is good. The vet didn't seem to think that her being so skinny was a problem, even though I could feel her backbone and ribs. I put her on 2 small cans of wet cat food a day, her hips still look thin but she's gaining weight back, problem is it's giving her diarrhea.

I've tried mixing some hard food into it, to soften it a bit but it's still giving her diarrhea. I've lessened the amount of wet food I am giving her, but I am afraid she will lose that weight again. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I can do to keep her weight up but not have diarrhea.

• Ken S
    Favorite Answer

First off, weight loss can be a serious problem so if you did not get a blood test, you should go back. If your cat is excessively drinking and peeing, then please email me.

Dry food should not be fed to cats-----end of story

If you feed canned foods with no gravy, no sauce then you can feed as much as your cat wants when he wants and she will go her correct weight.

For the diarrhea, get some acidophilus. Crush 1/2 pill into the food 2x a day.

Learn about the most important thing-feline nutrition here

www.catinfo.org

• Hi, no she's not drinking or peeing excessively. The vet did a blood test and found out she has thyroid issues. Would I find that pill at a vet's office or over the counter?

• Laura

The should be on a wet food diet anyway.

The diarrhea could be from the drastic change, or a sign that the food is low quality. Get a high quality canned food, I feed my cat wellness, she loves it and it doens't give her any tummy troubles.

• We have her on a very high quality food, I won't feed them that grocery store food.

She should be on canned food only, not dry. Try adding water to it a bit too, to encourage more fluid intake. Dehydrated cats don't have much appetite. Feeling the entire backbone does mean she's underweight. The diarrhea may be from something too rich, or a reaction to one specific main meat ingredient. Fish cause issues with our cats, I have to stick with chicken as the main meat source.

• The flavors are chicken and turkey, it's from a high quality line of food. She has put some weight back on but still kind of thin in her hips. I figured the diarrhea was from giving her to much? I guess I need to try a different vet cause she seems healthy otherwise, I just can't figure this out.

Pizza Hut