Is a .22LR ok for self defense?

There is a used Taurus 22LR PT22 pistol for sale at my local gun shop. I m will be using this mainly for self defense when it comes to armed robbers.

The maximum engagement distance I probably will get in is 10 meters. The number one thing I do need is concealment.

• Alex
    Best Answer

It's better than a knife. I use it myself. It's not going to stop someone like a .45 or even 9mm HP round will but like I said, it's usually better than a knife.

Although.... Taurus the brand... REALLY SUCKS! I would NOT buy any gun from them. I'd trust a knife over any of their crappy semi autos. Their revolvers are... okay... but their semi autos are likely to jam after the first round.

Taurus also went full retard and made their PT-22 double action only. good bye accuracy.

So all you have left is an inaccurate unreliable POS. But if you waste your money on it. go ahead and make an update to this question telling us how you regret buying it.

If you wanna be smart upgrade to a beretta 21a bobcat. Even those are not very reliable but about 4 out of 6 PT-22s I've seen people fire were not reliable at all. Most sucked, the other two were okay. You want to risk those odds? I'd say most of the 21a I've encountered were okay to pretty good. Mine is okay, pretty good with the right ammo.

If you have trouble finding a 21a bobcat look on gunbroker. it's not very hard to figure out how to make an account to ship one of those guns to your FFL for a transfer. I had to do that to get mine. Mine works pretty good with the right ammo, and clean. The bobcat also comes in 25 auto which is much much more reliable, they also make a 32 acp which is also more reliable and more powerful in the SAME size. Ammo is more expensive than a .22 but unless you're gonna make this a target practice gun you're gonna go to the range every day it shouldn't be an issue.

• Jeff

so your crystal ball says 10 meters... If I knew how far and what the conditions would be beforhand Like you do... I'd skip the problem and stay home. 22 to 380 is marginal for terminal effect.

And your worried about concealment before you have learned to draw from a holster. Suggestion ---stay home or get some training.

While a 22lr would not be my first choice you would be surprised at the damage that little round can do.. If a 22lr is all you can afford or what you have carry it , it beats a sharp stick and will put a hurt on someone.

It beats throwing rocks.

It beats throwing rocks.

• pmt853

Why do you need concealment if it's for defence against armed robbers unless you expect to encounter them in the street?

Define "OK".

If you mean can it inflect a mortal wound, but still give an attacker enough time to rip the gun from your hands and shove it up where the sun don't shine before he bleeds out, then the answer is YES.

If you mean a gun that is primarily effective if you don't have anything else and you are close enough to shove it into your attacker's gut and empty the magazine (hoping that that the rimfire ammo doesn't fail) as he is breathing his last hot breaths into your face, then the answer is YES.

If you mean effective at physically stopping an attacker at 10 meters before he gets close enough for contact, by shutting down his cardiovascular, pulmonary, or nervous systems or destroying one of the main structural bones in his body, then answer is you better have very good shot placement (under pressure) and hope that the clothes he is wearing are not too thick and he is not too fat, but mostly likely NO.

Typically the gun stops an attack in one of three ways:

1. A rational individual will generally stop when they see their opponent has a gun. - a .22lr gun will work here

2. A less rational, but marginally sane individual may stop or run when they feel the pain of being struck by a bullet (unless of course it enrages them thinking they have nothing left to loose). - a .22lr will marginally work here. Plenty of people have been shoot with a .22lr in an attack or home invasion and turned and run away, often succumbing to blood loss a couple hundred meters away.

3. Finally, when all sense of rationality fails, a gun stops an attack by critically damaging one of the major system of the body. This is where the terminal ballistics of the bullet come into play along with the skill of the shooter. In this case the .22lr is very poor compared to modern handgun cartridges and skill does not make up for that much.

A lot of people die from .22lr (by eventually bleeding out or internally) because they don't think it is a lethal cartridge and treat it carelessly, but don't confuse the lethality of the cartridge with the ability to immediately stop an attack.

I would recommend a .380 ACP handgun is a marginal minimum for concealed carry, or better yet a 9mm Luger chambered handgun.

If your priority is concealment, the PT22 is a decent weapon. I carried one at work because it was easily concealed with my uniform. As previously mentioned, the minimum effective self defense caliber is 38. I carry a 9mm when possible.

Mine only stovepiped once, when it was new and I had shot less than 100 rounds through it. It could be a little more accurate, but it shoots a pattern that you would expect from any 22 pistol.

if nothing else, then yeah of course! beats a knife.

id try to not use a semi auto, semi auto 22s are more prone to problems then any other class of gun.

if you have the option for a centerfire caliber go with that. no matter what it is.

and if you have more of a choice go with a 380,38 or stronger. 380 and 38 are the bare minimums for defense